Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 clucking to locate birds?? >

clucking to locate birds??

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

clucking to locate birds??

Old 05-17-2006, 12:27 PM
TDE
Spike

Default clucking to locate birds??

A question from a season past that I've wondered about:

I'm in thefield an hour before sunup and couldn't get a tom to gobble so I decide to set up in a spot that had signs of serious turkey activity when I was scouting the day before. Just as the sun is coming up a not so graceful human is making his way through the woods fairly slowly but loudly, using a box call to make a single cluck noise every few minutes. Eventually he walks right past me and doesn't notice meand I get to watch him do his noisy thing on off into the yonder (and then after he's gone I pick up and leave of course).

I'm thinking this guy isn't so bright because I could hear him going through the woods a mile away so I know no turkeys are going to stick around. However, I'm wodering if I was too quick to judge him and threw clucking into the same idiot category as crashing through the woods.What are your thoughts? Isclucking a reasonable methodfor getting a shock gobble?
Old 05-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: clucking to locate birds??

Not necessarily a shock gobble call however I've heard gobblers let loose for a single hen clucking however, this man constantly clucking as he walks is probably spooking more birds than he's getting to answer. A gobbler won't necessarily answer him rather just walk in for a closer look, see him and off they go. The other thing you have to realize is on dry leaves, turkeys can make a lot of noise but, they do not break sticks.....

I incorporate clucking in my calling routine when I'm set up however I would use it in the way he's using it to cover ground. It's important you knew where the birds are before they know where you are and walking and clucking may work but it's asking for bumped birds.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: clucking to locate birds??

He was definetly bumping the birds...