Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how to locate

Old 02-20-2006, 07:13 PM

Default how to locate

i have just bought the quaker boy hurricane box call and was wondering if that is good for locating turkeys. i also heard to use crow call i need help
Old 02-20-2006, 07:24 PM

Default RE: how to locate

All depends.

I don't like using a CROW call b/c they don't seem to work that well here in South Carolina.

I rather use an OWL call. I was hunting one mid-day and blew my crow call. Nothing answered. I got out my owl call and hooted. Three different turkeys gobbled. From what point on, I left my crow call at home. THey will gobble at an owl at all times of the day.

Another good thing that I like to use is make some loud cutts with a call. I like a really high frequency all for this, like an aluminum call.

One thing that I thought was the funniest thing in the world is a guy that uses a train whistle.

The first time I turkey hunted near a train track, I seen why he used it. VERY GOOD locator call.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:56 PM

strutnbps makes a good point....have a couple calls in your vest cuz you never know what will work....i have a power crow and coyote. i've also hunted near train tracks and if the train is consistently on time, use the train to your benefit. i've also taken my goose call a couple times and got turkeys to gobble.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had luck with an owl call, but my crow call seems to do the trick occasionally. I carry an owl, crow, and peacock call and use them all because you never know what might get them going. A box call is good for locating too, but make sure you're ready to set up fast if you get that unexpected CLOSE gobble. You know that a turkey will not come in to an owl or a crow call, just shock gobble. If you hit your box call, thats a different story.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:12 AM

As you can see..if you have read all the post, everyone has their own opinion. The owl call works great for in the morning. I dont use a crow call until the afternoon and ive had luck using both. But the most luck ive had is using an actuall turkey call. The box call is a great choice to use for a locator because its a loud call. To tell you the truth, a turkey will gobble at almost anything it hears. I've slammed my truck door shut one time and a turkey gobbled to it. Ive also heard dogs bark in the distance and the turkey would be gobbling at that.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: uplander252

i have just bought the quaker boy hurricane box call and was wondering if that is good for locating turkeys. i also heard to use crow call i need help
Never used a Hurricane box call, but a box call is my favorite locator. I've had much better luck with box callsthan with owl, crow, coyote call, etc, on birds in the southeast.

Hal