Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Magazine Contest over

Old 05-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Magazine Contest over

A new magazine that just came to the shelf asked me about donating a Turkey hunt for subscription counts.

I decided to help them along with QuakerBoy Game calls.

there was a number of Prizes and a two day turkey hunt with me, a Horton Crossbow and a $100 dollar gift card to a sporting supply place.

The winner got to pick from the three and the hunt was the first pick...

This is how it unfolded,,,,,,,,,,

Last night a drive in the country side gave away the location of a couple of egar Gobblers with hens. The night was restfull as the thoughts of the winner of the Ontario Monster Whitetails Giveaway Hunt was about to unfold.

4:30am and off to the location to get into place before the Gobbler woke. We walked through a hardwoods headed to a large gully as I thought the birds would be roosted close to that location. As we got to the spot a gobble roared from the hollow side about 100 yards out. I walked a touch closer and setup a decoy on a old skider trail and moved back to a couple of nice trees.

As we waited in the green foilage the gobblers spoke often to the close by hens. I pulled out a Thriple Threat and made some soft tree yelps on the green plexy that it has and the gobblers answered.

I waited out them to flydown and as they hit the ground we could not believe that a doe and 2 fawns walked right into the setup at 30 yards out. Walked right in! You bet right between us and the gobbling birds. I could hear the Spit and drum coming from the other side of the deer. Then all of a sudden, there is a White head coming through the woods right towards the deer and only 45yards out. One walker and one strutter walks up with the deer gobbling and we sat still as I softly used a mouth call and yelped to get the birds to pass the deer without spooking them.

The gobblers roared another Gobble and moved closer passed the deer right to where we needed the birds to enter our shooting range for a shot at 25 yards.

I whispered to Hugh Vanoosteen the winner of the contest to kill the bird when it hits the small cleared area in front of the setup. The birds stopped for a moment and with a soft yelp they proceeded ahead and into the clearing.

The shotgun blasted and all the game left standing headed in all directions, all but one Tom Turkey.

Hugh Vanoosteen had just killed his very first Wild Turkey and a good 3 year old at that at 6:05 am.

The contest Hunt is all over with Prizes from QuakerBoy Game Calls and a great 3 year old Gobbler to boot....

17.17 Lbs
10 1/4 Beard
1 - 1 1/8 Spurs

Old 05-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Magazine Contest over

Great work BT.
Was this hunt in Ontario? The foliage and recently plowed fields remind me of where I hunted last weekend.
Another question for the old pro; how can you determine a turkeys age? What makes you think that bird is 3yrs old?
Old 05-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes it is an Ontario hunt. I believe we hunt close to the same area if I remember right.

The spurs on this gobbler was 1 in and 1 1/8 inch that is the indication of a 3 year old bird....BT
Old 05-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tagged out just south of Orillia, but I'mnear your place all the time as my parents have a cottage in Wasaga and I have a lady friend in Angus.

You said that you drove the roads to roost the birds, but that looks like private land, was the hunt on the Turkey Spur Ranch (if I remember correctly), or do you just have permission from all the neighbours?

Sorry to hijack this thread but I figure you can teach me a few things.
My 1st bird had had 3/4" spurs and were nice and black, the 2nd bird had 15/16" spurs but were grey and worn looking. Is there a length that you use as a cut-off for age? How about the colour, does it matter? Finally, how long do turkeys live, could a big spurred gobbler be 4 or 5?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boy you ask a lot just kiddin ya

I have about 20 private properties that do have others hunting them that I travel around and watch. I pattern afternoon birds for afternoon hunting around 5:00pm - 7:00pm so that can give me a heads up for a roosted area in the morning as most birds don't travel to far from the locations. If I see birds feeding in areas night after night and I need a place for a afternoon hunt this gives me a place to target.

Turkey Spur ranch is just a name for my place, I hunt over hunted private land. Its 15 minutes from west from Angus.

Nubs on a bird is a Jake
3/4 -1in is a 2 year old bird
1in - 1 1/8 is a 3 year old
1 1/8-1 3/8 is a 4 year old

Hope that helps ya ...BT
Hope that helps...BT
and any longer then 1 3/8 is close to 5 years. Most wild turkeys have a life span of 5 years old on a normal bases.