Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

no Gobbling at all!!!!

Old 05-13-2006, 07:51 AM

Default no Gobbling at all!!!!

hey is anybody having troulbe hearing birds!!!ive been out now4 times now and not heard any birds on the roast or after fly down. the spot i hunt here in mdhas a good amount of turkeys and in 8 years ive been hunting there ive never gone 2 days with out hereing a least birds on the roast. in past years sometimes they will gobble good on the roast and then shut up on the ground , which isnt uncommon!!!!!!! but never have heard them to be so quit!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2006, 09:27 AM

Default RE: no Gobbling at all!!!!

I haven't been hearing much gobbling here in MN either...
Old 05-13-2006, 09:45 AM

Until today I the birds were really loud here in Pa. Today, we saw 1 jake, but had no gobbling all day. That is weird for the spots we were at because all year the've been screaming!
Old 05-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

my spot i was hunting up by college was having that problem....first day i hunted it they were going BONKERS.....then the last 2 or 3 or 4 times i hunted they didnt say a peep....i heard their wings as they fly down one day...never said a peep and never had the slightest intrest in calling..alot of guys called it a "gobbling lull" i guess after they breed and do their thing that they shut up for a couple days or so....mine went atleast a week or so though...i left and am home so i dont know if or when they fired back up.....
Old 05-13-2006, 09:58 AM

Been real sporadic here. They talk a lot for a couple of days, then nothing for a few. It's like that in the turkey world, but look out when the switch finally gets flipped on!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:04 AM

NY has been dead Quite........
Old 05-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Here in VA there was a lot of gobbling about 1 week before the season opened and during the 1st week of the season. After that I've not heard a single gobble on my land. Yesterday was my last day out for the season and the only thing I heard was a hen responding to my yelps. Either way, I did get 2 birds during the first week of the season, so I'm happy. I did however want to get one with a bow and arrow.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt a pretty good piece of private land in Garrett county, MD. The first week of the season, I had 2 out of 4 days without any gobbling on the roost. Then I went back out there last week for two more days and heard no gobbling at all on the roost --AND I WAS WATCHING ONE OF THEM ON THE LIMB. They didn't gobble much on the ground either and were uncooperative.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I find when the tom's and Jake's are henned up the bird's get very quiet ,but give theTom's and Jake'sa week or two to split from thehen's and those Tom's will start gobbling agin.

nubo
Old 05-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

They are like that her in NC to.
I think it has to do woth a lot of hunters in the woods at the same
Time and they have got wise.

I know they are there because I have walked up on them.

Oh well I will try it again next year.