Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How often to shock gobble >

How often to shock gobble

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How often to shock gobble

Old 05-12-2006, 07:42 PM
TDE
Spike

Default How often to shock gobble

If you were trying to find turkeys in the woods or on the roost, how often do you shock gobble? Say if you wereslowly and quietlywalking the woodsline around a large farm?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How often to shock gobble

Assume your using a gobble call? If so, I'd only do it a few times after they've started gobbling, or around mid morning. Crow Calls, owl hooters, Peacock calls, woodpecker calls, hawk calls, coyote howlers, and even silent dog whistles all will work at gettin em to give thier location. use a gobble call sparingly and only if you know the property and its hunters...it can be very dangerous! good luck
Old 05-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only use it to find location ,then I put it away ,I try not to use it if I can ,but if I've seen or heard nothing I'll try it 1 or 2 time's ,if I get no response then I move on .
Old 05-13-2006, 02:53 PM
TDE
Spike

I've given up on the crow and owl call as I have never gotten a response from either of them, at least in my area. I now have both a jake gobbler and a coyote howler. It sounds like the coyote is a good call for gobblers on the roost and the gobbler works well during the day (yes, be careful for other hunters).

So, if it took me 3 hours to slowly walk around an entire farm, would you call every 15 minutes or so?
Old 05-13-2006, 05:01 PM

I don't use a gobbler call even on so called private property. A crow call has always worked for me, or hope for thunder.