Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Laurel is Down!!!

Old 05-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Laurel is Down!!!

For those of you who read my previous post about the two Toms that seemed to stay together, and I had nicknamed " Laurel and Hardy", this is to let you know that the duo is no more!!! I went out Weds. morning about 6 am. I got a late start due to medical reasons(kidney stone). I almost didn't go because I hurt so bad at 3:30 am, but the pain eased up alittle about 5 am. Well after getting out later than I like, I set up on the field I had seen them on two prior times. The wind was blowing out of the northeast at about 15 to 20 mph, so I kinda knew why I had not heard any gobbling. At about 7:30, I had not seen or heard a single bird so I decided to try and hold out a little while more. I had been calling about every 15 minutes and decided to give it one more shot. After my last series of calls, I started to hurt really bad! After about 10 more minutes, I decided that this was not my day and that with the conditions the way they were I was probably better of going home and taking some pain medicine!!! Well just as soon as I leaned forward in my blind to grab my hat, I caught a glimpse of him coming out of the wood line. Well I sat back as quickly as I could without spooking him and got ready! Needless to say, it didn't take him long to cover the 65 to 70 yards to my decoys! For a moment I wondered if I should wait to see if "Hardy" was going to show his face, but I decided that with all that was going on I better not! Well as soon as "Laurel" made it to my decoys, he actually bumped his head into my upright hen's head! As soon as he stepped away for my decoy, his day was over!!! He was only about 12 yards away. I know in my heart that this was "Laurel" because as I mentioned before, he never made a sound and even though he was alone he never strutted. Both times before "Hardy" was the dominant, more vocal tom and was always in strut. I am just hoping "Hardy" isn't upset or feeling sorrow tomorrow, cause it is the last day of the season here and I will be out there trying to CONSOLE him! LOL!

19 pounds 7 ounces
10 inch beard
1 inch left spur
1 1/8 inch right spur
Old 05-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Laurel is Down!!!

no better pain medication than that!

WTG!
Old 05-13-2006, 02:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed my best gobbler last year following a night in the hospital passing a kidney stone. No pain like it. Glad you were able to stick it out and get this one.

Now as for Hardy . . .
Old 05-13-2006, 05:06 PM

Congrats on your bird.