Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Rain for the next week and a half....ugh >

Rain for the next week and a half....ugh

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Rain for the next week and a half....ugh

Old 05-11-2006, 04:59 AM

Default Rain for the next week and a half....ugh

Well, according to the weatherman we are due in for a spell of rain...10 days or so they say.
Guess I will be hunting the edges of fields next to thick cover. That is the best stratedgy for rainy day birds correcto?
Also, when it rains for a good long while, do the birds move to heavy cover?
Hope everyones season went/is going well...
Old 05-11-2006, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rain for the next week and a half....ugh

I have seen birds in the fields in a downpour. Fields or other openings for rainey days!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:42 AM

They'll stay on roost a bit longer and head to the fields, roads or meadows. With a period of rain that long you should be able to pattern them pretty well.

Good Luck!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice Borch!! Yep, the weather sure looks wet here in NY over the next few days as well. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow morning before it comes down hard!! The weekend looks to be a wash out as well.[]
Old 05-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I went out this morning ,the wind was high and the rain was pouring .AlthoughI still seen bird's ,but wasn't able to get close enough for a shot .

nubo
Old 05-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are right. Turkeys will go to open ares while it's raining. I've seen several gobblers standing perfectly still together during an all day rain. They were just standing in the middle of a pipeline not moving at all. They would shake every now and then, but that's about it. If it's a steady moderate to hard rain you may not have much luck. It may be a different story if it's light rain. I'm really not too crazy about hunting in the rain, unless it's for ducks.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

yesterday i seen four LONGBEARDS in a field all day during a strait downpour!! i will be out tommorow and all weekend no matter what. Last weekend.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

same story here......only he told me it would start LAST nite...so i didnt set my alarm.....woke up to pee at 730 to find it sunny!!! a bit breezy but huntable none the less....tomarrow ill wake up....only 30% chance i think...think its done now....hopefully for the night....i got a field and a grassy gas line to hunt if its foul......i hope they are active and talking..the wet ground only means 1 thing to me....i get to sneak in even farther!! ill be there early...and hopefully its cloudy so its dark(i dont feel like getting up THAT early lol) but ill be there in my spot a half hour before they usually been talking...walking down a saturated grassy gasline i should beable to set up where he flys down undetected.......i wanna get as close as possible but its fairly open...so i wont beable to get that close...exspecially when i believe he is MAJORLY henned up....that many eyes in the trees im not going to push my luck....
Old 05-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Spike

Same story here.... rain forecasted for 6 out of the next 7 days. This is actually my first time turkey hunting so I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm with the reality that it's going to be cold and damp and I may not see much.

I have a question regarding finding Turkeys in field during rain. Why is that??? My first thought is - aren't they smart enough to come in out of the rain. Or do they do it because their hearing is impaired by the rain and if they get out in the open they can see predators more easily???