Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
reached half a  decision need the other half >

reached half a decision need the other half

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

reached half a decision need the other half

Old 09-04-2002, 03:27 PM

Default reached half a decision need the other half

i finally made up my mind on what rifle to get next. i want to buy a new marlin guide gun without the ported barrel. for this year they come with and without porting. i just found that out today. it will be the perfect close cover rifle for me. i really love the way the stainless guide gun looks but u can only get it in 45/70 (that i know of anyways). i have to make a choice between the 45/70 and the 450 marlin. factory loads for the 45/70 are pretty slow compared to the new 450 marlin. i know buffalo bore and garret make hot 45/70 loads but how hard is it to get those? i live in canada so i doubt i can mail order ammo from the states. any places in canada that make hot 45/70 loads? this won't exactly be a rifle that i shoot 1000+ rounds a year. it's a hunting rifle so i'm not sure if buying all the reloading stuff would pay off. maybe 200-300 rounds a year. a box a month and a few more before season. factory stuff would do it for deer in the 45/70 i'm sure and probably bear too. what do u think? 45/70 or 450 marlin?
this will be a close cover gun like i said before so i doubt i'll ever take a shot at 200 yards.

cheers
Old 09-04-2002, 03:53 PM

Default RE: reached half a decision need the other half

well i'm one of the few fans of the .450marlin but if i was buying a GG right now i would opt for the 45-70. i'm not to sure the .450marlin is going to make the grade. if it doesn't then trying to find ammo for it is going to be hard. there are so many people against this round i'll just have to wait and see. on the other hand the 45-70 is a classic round that will never die. you know it's going to be around along with the ammo. and someday you might reload so you will be able to push the envelope a little :-) the "normal" 45-70 rounds are plenty for the kind of hunting you have described in my opion.

Tick a Liberal Off, Buy a Hand Gun!
http://tscott.fws1.com

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!
Old 09-04-2002, 04:28 PM

i would say go for the 450marlin. sight it in 2" high at 50yds. it wil be 2" high + or - and dead on at 150yds.
if it never makes it and they stop making ammo for it just trade it in for another gun in the future. i am finding out there is qiute the ammount of people who have them and love them.

Old 09-04-2002, 06:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-04-2002, 08:31 PM

that's pretty expensive otis! last time i checked at sir it was $775 without tax. thanks for the link. i'll check with him if i ever have the need for 540gr hammerheads
i was browsing the marlin forum and it looks like lots of folks like the 1.75-6 pentax lightseekers. i'll have to check that one out too along with a few others.

Old 09-04-2002, 08:37 PM

btw my friend is from orillia