Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 A few little projects I started a week and a half ago >

A few little projects I started a week and a half ago

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

A few little projects I started a week and a half ago

Old 06-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default A few little projects I started a week and a half ago

Between all my honey does and work, I have been playing in my shop. Here are a few stick and laminate bows I have put together for friends and my kids. And please no comment on my man cave floor or antiquated couch. I thought carpet samples would be better than concrete and the couch was brought in from the cabin. Old ugly is better than old nothing. Besides, when the wife kicks me out of the house, its nice to have a bed. lol

The top bow is still in the works, its a quad-lam of hickory, ipe, hickory and black walnut with a maple, cherry, and black walnut riser, with maple, cherry, and walnut tips. Its tillered at 48lbs@ 29" and is a R/D longbow, 68" ntn. Ill be finishing her up tomorrow. This is the bow I was talking about earlier that I found in the trash. I was cleaning out a wood bin and found some trash pieces that I was able to rip into lams.

The second from the top is a white oak belly with a hickory backing. Black walnut, maple, and white oak riser. Tips are walnut and maple. It is a R/D longbow that is 66" ntn, and 40lbs @ 28". I built this bow with extra deflex because it is for a man wanting to learn trad bows, so I made it as forgiving as I could.

Third from top is a white oak bi-lam I made for my oldest daughter. It is 20lbs @20", 56" ntn. The grip is white walnut and maple. Tips are walnut and maple. It is a R/D as well.

Fourth from top is a red oak bow with a hickory backing. I made this bow for a neighbors kid. It is 54" ntn and 20lbs @20". The tips are fiberglass. I made the tips fiberglass because the child I made this for is not real easy on his stuff. The grip is red oak.

Number 5 from the top is a left handed bow I made for a small child. It is 54" ntn and 10 lbs at 15". The bow is mahogany, with a maple backing. The grip is cherry, mohagany, and white oak. The tips are white oak and cherry. This is a flat bow.

Bottom bow is a flat bow as well. It is 54" ntn and 15lbs at 18". I made this for my youngest daughter. She likes the fell of flat bows, so I had to make her this one to replace a real nice R/D I made earlier. Silly girl. She loves this one. It is a white oak bow, no backing, with a walnut and maple grip and walnut and maple tips.

You can probably tell I need to hit the lumber yard, I built these bows with wood i scronged up in my shop. Ill have to go this week and get a whole lot of new wood. Here are some more pics.

Bottom bow is still in progress and several still need strike plates, which I make from buffalo leather.

Im going to get more wood this week and pull out some old forms and start makeing some performance bows under glass. I just need to go get some fancy wood for that. Also, ill be making me a new hunting bow which will be an ipe bamboo bow in a English longbow style with R/D.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: A few little projects I started a week and a half ago

Good job, nice work
Old 06-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kent

Thats some great work.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Beautiful art work.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice work Burnie! I'm jealous, I wish I could do something like you got going on there! Maybe one of these days!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice work! Some interesting handle shapes.

Now that I've finished working on my Kentucky rifle, it's about time to get out the draw knife myself. I still need to make a new wood prod for my primitive crossbow.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks everyone.

Arthur
Funny you mention crossbows. I was cleaning up some old files in my officelast night and I came across some old plans for a repeating crossbow. As for the grips, I play around with different styles on bows like these, in search of the perfect feel. My daughters are like night and day. My oldest likes a deep, thick pistol grip and my youngest likes a more straight, simi-pistol grip.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd like to see those plans. One of these days, I'm gonna get a wild hair and decide to make one. Now that I'm no longer able to shoot a bow, I'm gonna have fun with crossbows.

This is what I've got in mind. An ancient Chinese version. No aiming it. Just point in the general direction, pump the handle back and forth and hope to heck one of 'em hits something. [8D]

Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 AM
bigcountry

I think I see a trend in your builds there burnie. At least in the handle. How do you get the tapers the way you need them? Do you ever put glass on any of these?

Quick Reply: A few little projects I started a week and a half ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.