Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Day Three of Five...

Old 05-09-2006, 06:33 AM

Default Day Three of Five...

Well, after missing twice with his bow on day two I finally convinced my friend that he needed to just go with the shotgun. So today we headed back out to the spot where we saw 6 birds yesterday, even though my dad had seen 6 birds that sounded very similar to ours nearly two miles down the road from our land. The day started out by taking too long to get ready, being late to get to our spot, not hearing a single gobble and then picking up by 6 a.m. to run to a spot were we often see birds in a different field of ours. We were on our way to that spot when we saw our birds... out in the same field where my dad had spotted them the night before. We continued driving because this wasn't our property and went to the land we were going to. There was nothing in sight and my friend had to work so we decided that we would drive back and if the birds were still in the field when we went back by that we would go get permission to hunt them. As we drove by there they were, about 80 yards off the road and in the middle of an alfalfa field. We got permission by barely catching the owner as he was leaving for work, and went back to try to get them. My friend thought that he could use the tall alfalfa to crawl his way to the hillside they were on and get a shot. I stayed behind so that I wouldn't make any extra noise that we didn't need and crossed my fingers waiting to hear a gunblast... then about 10 minutes later I saw my friend come walking back over the hill and he said that they saw him when he was about 60 yards away and they ran... I guess we just have some bad luck. Still two days left so hopefully we can find some birds and GET ONE! My season starts in three days, i hope the birds are easier to hunt by then!

Old 05-09-2006, 10:38 AM

Default RE: Day Three of Five...

I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't done worth a hoot trying to stalk turkeys to within shotgun range. Once you get inside of 100 yards, those sharp eyes are just too difficult to avoid. Much better strategy is to set up and wait motionless for them to come to you.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:30 PM

Yeah, I know that it's very difficult but we had managed to pull it off with the bow yesterday but my friend missed his shot... had he had the shotgun instead he would have definately already had his bird. But you know how it goes, if you have a bow they will come within shotgun range and if you have a gun they will be just out of gun range... I'm just hoping tomorrow morning I will be able to call another in so he can finally get his first bird!
Old 05-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: it flies it dies

i hope the birds are easier to hunt by then!
I'm almost certain they will