Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkeys That Wont't Come In >

Turkeys That Wont't Come In

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkeys That Wont't Come In

Old 05-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkeys That Wont't Come In

I have a question; This morning my dad and I go into the woods and got set up, we then heard a tom about 200 yds away still in the roost. I began to go tree yelp and all until he flew down, but then he wouldn't come any closer than about 100 yds[:@]. We saw him and he walked parallel to our location for about 150yds and back and then disapeared. How do you get them to come into the calls?He wasanswering all my cuts, clucks and purrs.What can I do get this tom to come in? Any info would be great. Oh, and all this actiondlasted about 30min or more.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkeys That Wont't Come In

Well chances are he had some hens with him or he new were to go to find hens... Your season is still pretty early I think... You might just have to try and pattern this bird and see were he's heading and try to get in there before him... Also your chance might get better as the season progresses...

Good luck
Old 05-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Was there any natural obstruction between you and him, that maybe you didn't know was there?

I've had turkeys jump over 5 ft high fences, fly across medium size rivers and walk through 2 ft deep swamps. I've also had them hang up on the other side of single tree tops, 1ft high stone walls and stand at the edge of a 2ft wide trickle of water and not come closer.

Good chances are, from the description, there was something between you and him that he didn't like. Now that you've seen where he likes to go, set-up in that direction...and personally, I would not call until he hit the ground.

Cheers,
S&R
Old 05-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey ZDEER

I agree with Mr. Longbeard, If that tom has hen's already or know's where to find them
Your gonna have to do some homework & find out where he's going & how's he's getting there
When you get that done you might be able toset-up an ambush somewhere along the line.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help guys, and there was no barriers in the way. I'm going to move to the area where he was and try to get in a good spot. I'll let you know if it works.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don' call so much , the Tom just waited for the hen to come to him. Only give him enough to keep him interested and then goes silent for a time period to allow him to want you. If he starts walking your way , Do not call let him come on his own. This is common for presured birds...BT
Old 05-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Adrian said what I was going to mention. If you had his interest, he knew where you were and he waited on what he thought was a hen, when it didn't come, he walked off. Once you have the attention sometimes it's time to stop calling and make him come find you.....all too often they will stand out there and answer, and strut, and answer but won't come. Clam up and make him think he lost his hen. That's how we killed the bird on the show I took on a guided hunt. Once we excited him, we clammed up and the two came looking, they even gobbled on their own...it's hard to sit patient but at times, it's the only way to "call" in a bird.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:17 PM

adrian and Rob make a good point....the norm is for the hens to go to the toms..if you find yourself there again, slow your calling down, give him just enough so he doesnt loose interest..once he seems he's locked up out there....turn your head...put your hand to your mouth and cluck a few times in the other direction....as if the hen he's waiting on is going away...let the tom search for you
Old 05-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

You might also try leaving the caller where you were this morning...And set up a jake and hen decoy where he was strutting....he won't stand for that jake to be with the hen....
Old 05-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's how I kill all my turkeys. Works every time