Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Good turkey guns?

Old 05-08-2006, 05:19 PM

Default RE: Good turkey guns?

Isn't the principal objective of a thumbhole to lay the gun down more, so that you look down the barrel like you do with a rifle? Shooting a shotgun at turkeys with a tight pattern is anti-intuitive, because you ordinarily shoot a shotgun by "feel", rather than along a sightline/plane, right? And with a tight pattern you need to "aim" like you do a rifle.

Bowtech Dually, does that Beretta Extrema have dramatically reduced recoil, as advertised??

Old 05-08-2006, 07:42 PM

snowdog2 It does kick a little less than my Super Black Eagle. I shot around a dozen 2 1/4 oz loads off the bench during testing patterns one afternoon and can say that there is definately still some harsh recoil, not something that will bother you hunting but not fun at the bench, afterward I slipped in a 1 5/8 oz 2 3/4 load and all I can say is what a difference. My gun has the recoil reducer in the stock and the gel pad which is still quite firm, however the newer Xtrema2 has the available Kickoff system as a $300+ option which they say softens the blow more. I think if I replaced the factory pad on the Benelli with a thick kickeez it would be hard to tell the difference.
BD
Old 06-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

So if you had the choice of the 870 SPS-T camo thumbhole or the Mossberg 835 Thumbhole and price didn't matter...which one would you choose and why? I have been going back and fourth on these two models for a couple of months now and I am trying to find pros and cons of each and haven't found much. I definitely want a pump and the thumbhole stock. Thumbhole just feels too good in the hand to not want it. I am also under the impression that Remington is going to do the thumbholes in several of their rifle models...I think???
Old 06-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

My favorite is my Mossberg 500. It'll knock em dead... Just my thoughts
Old 06-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a Remington fan!!!! I own 3 Remington turkey guns and all three shoot!!!!

I have 3 friends who have mossberg turkey guns and they don't shoot as good as my Rems...

Good luck with your mossberg
Old 06-10-2006, 08:43 AM

for that price range...I would definitely recommend the 835!
Old 06-18-2006, 05:35 PM

CZ 527 in .223,
(oh wait, you can't use those in the spring season also?darn! )

Actually I've never had a problem with my 870 Express, set witha heavyshot-safe chokeand an Aimpoint on top. Dad is a singleshot fanatic. And since he's has gotten more birds (& deer, elk, mulies, chucks,so on)than any two other people I know, I'd say his old New England "beater gun" is OK also.