Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Good turkey guns?

Old 05-01-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Good turkey guns?

I need help, I want to look into a dedicated turkey gun but I'm not sure what I want. Right now I have a 20 gauge Benelli Nova and I've been pleased with it, but it just doesn't have quite the range I want. Since I have my 20 gauge, I figure if I get a 12 gauge it would be mainly for turkey and possibly waterfowl later. I'm 14 as of now so I don't have a ton of money but after this summer I could probably have $400-$500 to actually spend on a gun. I like the new Benelli Supernova in camo and pistol-grip, seems like it would be nice, along with Mossberg turkey guns. A Stoeger 2000 feels good to me also, but I've heard mixed reviews about it. If anyone could help me on my quest for a good turkey gun feel free to respond. Any results you've had with a non-factory choke and whatever loads you like would be nice too, thanks for the replies.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Good turkey guns?

I shoot a Benelli SBE, its a great turkey gun but in the $1000+ range. My friend just bought the Mossberg 835 thumbhole grip camo turkey gun. It has a 21" barrel, tru-glo sights,and came with an extended turkey choke. It is one awesome turkey gun and shoots excellant patterns, out to 45 yards,with Winchester HV #5 lead loads. He didnt even bother switching choke tubes.
I also like the benelli pistol grip but have not shot it. I would stay away from the Stoeger only because it is not pre-drilled for optics. You may not want to use them but it is always nice to have them on there for future use.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

i also have a Nova in 12 guage.....if you are pleased with Benelli then i might go with the Supernova!!
Old 05-01-2006, 04:31 PM

want go wrong with either a 835 mossberg pump i think in the 400 range check the price havnt priced one lately. 935 mossberg which i hunt with now ithink i payed around 550 600 dollars for!!!!!!!!! great value ,great gun
Old 05-01-2006, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the replies, I saw a Supernova with pistol grip but I didn't get to handle it cause no adult was with me. Hopefully it won't be gone next time I'm by that store, I'm reallly interested in it and it's more interchangeable than the original Nova.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:03 AM

I use the Mossburg 835 ulti and love this gun.. I really like the porting so you don't get all beat up with the recoil.. My friends all have these 1200.00 dollar guns and my $ 250.00 Mossburg shoots just as good if not better.. I really like the new model with the folding stock..
Old 05-02-2006, 02:34 PM

A folding stock doesn't get me excited but I like the thumbhole version of the Mossberg. I don't think my grandpa would approve of these fancy new ideas though, unless maybe he sees the patterns outta them.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: tykempster

A Stoeger 2000 feels good to me also, but I've heard mixed reviews about it.
I've not heard but one negative report on the Stoeger 2000 by people who actually own one. I picked one up last spring and it's been an excellent gun. A lot of bang for the buck so to speak. I've also talked to half a dozen gun managers who sell them and they have had almost zero issues with customers who have bought them. The only complaint they mentioned was that earlier models with the camo had some durability issues. It has since been resolved.

I'm getting excellent patterns with it as well for turkey hunting combined with a comp n choke. It's an enertia operated system so it does have a bit more recoil than gas operated guns. But it also operates more reliable with less cleaning than the gas operated autos.

Good Luck with your decision.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Mossberg 835 was my choice 5 deer later i dont regret it, now if these turkeys would just cooperate!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:10 PM

I have had an 835 and it was a great gun! I did not like it for one reason and that was the safety. It is on the top while most other guns are near the trigger. It is all what you get used to and when you are instictivly looking near the trigger it hard to remember where it is at

Quick Reply: Good turkey guns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.