Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Good turkey guns?

Old 05-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Good turkey guns?

I like semi auto's when it comes to shotguns. Here are a few very good models that are well made, reliable, and will work great for all around use. They all have 3" chambers and are light enough for upland hunting if you ever want to get into it.

Beretta 390 (Wal Mart) and 3901 are gas operated. They are basically the same gun with different shaped receivers. They are fairly light in weight, have stock shims, and automatic magazine cutoffs. They each hold four shells and can't accept extensions. They are not too bad to clean. The 390 (Wal Mart) only comes in B/S with a 28" barrel in 12 gauge.
Beretta Pintail/ES100 is inertia operated. It's fairly light and has a slim forearm. They are very easy to clean and have an automatic magazine cutoff. It holds five shells and can't be extended. Shims are available for this model. This model does not have a magazine release making the unloading take a tad longer than most.
Browning Silver Hunter is gas operated. It's very light in weight and has stock shims available for it. It only comes in a Silver/Blue/Wood finish. It holds five rounds total. It does not have the speed load and magazine cutoff features but has the same gas system as the more expensive Golds.
Franchi 612 and 712 are gas operated. They are the same except for the receiver shape. They are very easy to clean and light in weight. They have an automatic magazine cutoff's and shims for the stock. They hold five shells and more with an extension. They don't have the best triggers in terms of weight and creep.
Weatherby SAS is gas operated. It is fairly light in weight and very easy to clean. It has a magazine cutoff switch and shims for the stock. It has a good safety shape, size, and location. It holds five shells and more with an extension. This model was made by SKB first then Valtro for Weatherby. Parts do not interchange between the two.
Winchester SX2 is gas operated. It has decent weight and is pretty easy to clean. It has a high rib design. It holds five rounds and more if extended. This is the only model that does not have a magazine cutoff of any kind. The Light field model is the same but quite a bit lighter and balances with more weight towards the stock.

Look at as many as you can with different barrel lengths and pick the one that you like the best.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

I have a Mossberg 500 that shoots great. I wouldnt go turkey hunting without it...
Old 05-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just purchased a 870 Remington super mag and am extremely happy with it.Got my first turkey with it on opening day at around 30 yards and the pattern was incredibly awesome with Winchester 3 inch number 4's.
Then again,I have always preffered my remingtons.
I will be purchasing a cantiliver barell for it soon to make it an all purpose gun.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:42 PM

Worc, thanks for the long and detailed reply. As to #4 shot, does anyone have a clue how many pellets are in a 1 1/2 20 gauge load compared to a heavy 12 gauge 3 or 3 1/2 inch load?My grandpa is convince hevi-shot #6 or 5 won't work, but I always bring one to slip in the chamber, I've heard #4's don't pattern well in 20 gauges. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington 870.

Or if you are in dyers need...Mossberg 835 might work.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:37 PM

My daughter 20 gauge 870 is getting 14-19 bone hits at 40 yards with #6 shot Rem Hevishot with a tightwad choke. It'll kill them out past 40 no problem. I can't get any on my guns to pattern #4 shot with multiple chokes and several 12 gauge and a couple 20 gauge guns.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:50 PM

My 20 gauge with hevi-shot pounded my jake with 25 hits at around 30-35 yards I think, it was 41 steps.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:07 PM

I have an 835 and love it.
Only thing is, I want the new thumbhole version, very sexy!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:26 PM

Yes it is...as is the pistol grip Supernova in Camo.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

mossberg 535 no doubt about it... it came out in 05.... i just picked one up this spring... it comes in 3 different models i think, get the turkey model, its light weight(composite stocks),full camo, comes with a 28 inch barrel with fiber optic sights and a 22 inch turkey barrel with fiber optics and a xx full turkey choke straight from the factory, i also have a tru glo red dot on mine... the gun shoots 2 3/4 inch shells 3 inch and 3.5 inch shells,...so for my set up i'm using the 22 inch barrel with the factory choke 3.5 inch shells 4 shot and a truglo red dot... i shot a 30 pack case at 35 yards and almost litterally ripped it in half... i wouldnt worry about an after marker choke, the factory choke produces very very tight patterns... it only cost about 380... let me tell u from my experience THIS IS A GREAT GUN.... NOT to mention the gobbler i rolled at 40 yards with it.. 23.5 pounds, 10.5 beard, and 1 inch spurs But this is just my opinion happy shopping!

Quick Reply: Good turkey guns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.