Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Not close enough!

Old 04-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Not close enough!

Rained cats and dogs all night in N Illinois. Got a late start which was made later by not one but two blocked roads by fallen trees. Finally got to the farm and set up with my friend Max. After an huor and a half I go to check on my bud and see a turkey @ 200yds away on a grassy strip in the cornfield and the turkey bolts for the woods. I talk to Max and then continue down the field. Nearing the crest of a rise in the field I see a blue head and drop to my knees. I crawl on my hands and knees until I just see the head again,on to my belly for more crawling until I can't get any closer w/o him spotting me. I figured the distance to be @45yds. He senses something is wrong and starts slowly walking towards the woods. 45yds is a little long for me but Ive been frustrated for 4 days and make the shot . The Tom flies away. I pace off the distance and realize I tried to make a 75yd shot. You know from your belly perspective it didn't seem that far but when I stood up I realized it was much farther. Anyways it was very exiting and the only thing hurt was my ego,not a feather was harmed on the bird. I'm sure the 6's probably hit the ground in front of the bird. Next week I'm gonna set up on one of the green strips in a blind put out one hen decoy and wait for a 25yd shot(paced off in advance!). Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Not close enough!

no suggestions.....but good luck!!
Old 05-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm wondering if one hen would be enough or should I use multiple decoys?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope! I'd go with a hen or 2 hen's ,make him want to check them out ,if there's a jake or a tom decoy ,he just might not want to come too close .I have used this tactic successfully .

nubo
Old 05-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Nubo I was thinking one hen and no jakes by now the old man is probably tired of fighting them off. Someone suggested a flock of hens but one lonely one seems better to me! What do you think of adding a little motion with some fishing line if there's no wind?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've never had any experience with using the fishing line trick ,but I have seen people use it . As far as working ,yea it might work fine if you can get it moving like it's eating .I've never needed it ,I find a single hen will do the trick when the tom see's there 's no competition for her .

nubo
Old 05-01-2006, 09:03 AM

Personally I've had more bad luck using decoys than going without with mature birds other than early in the season. The big boys hang up out of range very frequently when they see the decoy, strutting and gobbling until the real hens filter to them and lead them away.

I've had good luck with decoys with 2 year olds and Jakes. If you got a big boy and want to use decoys make sure to include a jake. Later in the season use one in a less aggressive posture. Although I've had some really exciting results by using a Jake and hen in a breeding position.

I like to set up where the terrain is such than when I see the bird it is already in range. It's not always possible but defintely desireable.

Good Luck!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the jake attempting to breed a hen, and there was a tom @100ys away. I'm sure he could see the pair but never came around. I'm gonna try the Lone Hen, a bobble head for motion and a fishing line in case of no wind. I haven't tried that yet