Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 turkey hunting in the rain >

turkey hunting in the rain

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey hunting in the rain

Old 04-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default turkey hunting in the rain

Has anyone had much luck hunting in the pouring down rain??? Are they late coming off the roost? Do they gobble much or what? Just wanting some opinions.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: turkey hunting in the rain

we're having the same problems. Rain rain rain, started yesterday. To add to the problems the toms are un interested and hardly gobble a peep. I did call in a nice longbeard on the 17th. At 35 yards he was just to far for the old smoke pole (1850's double barrel black powder). My old man did tag a jake this morning that would have had you believing he was a tom. There's still toms around but nothing.

When it's raining we do well in green fields. Find the travel routes to them. My old mans jake today came out of an area like this. On our way home, we had a nice tom on the 40 next to our property sitting behind a tree in a green field feeding. Couldn't get that tom to hardly even check us out. He'd look but wouldnt budge....UGG! 2 more days and I head back to Alaska!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Never had any luck in a down pour. After the rain has stopped yes. I killed my Missouri bird this year after a very soaking rain. Yes they will stay on the roost longer.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:43 PM

Other than it being a bit uncomfortable I don't mind hunting in the rain at all. If anything the birds tend to be a bit more predictable in their movements. Check outpastures, meadows, roads and fields. My son took and rainy day gobbler this morning with me at teh intersection of a feild road and field corner. They may not talk as much(although tjhis morning they gobbled a lot). Sounds like rain for then next 2-3 days up here anyways.

Good Luck!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:44 PM

Turkeys like wide open pastures in the rain. The woods are much quieter and everything is moving. In the open they can see everything better, they feel more secure. They are pretty quiet usually, though if one is in the right mood he'll gobble all the way in. Can't kill 'em on the couch. They're still out there doing their thing.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:02 AM

I second that motion, set up a doublebull in the middle of a field and let curiosity kill em' ! I also use afeeding motion decoy...
If lighting starts up be smart, get in the truck!
Old 04-30-2006, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

I killed a nice one in the rain, last wed.
But, It wasn't in the fields either.
He had a buddy come with him.
Drizzle Rain no problem. Sometimes even better.
Heavy rainmay problem.To much noise.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:26 PM

I shot one this morning in a soaking rain, pretty windy also. Two toms, a couple jakes and a ton of hens came feeding in. I was hunting some creek bottoms/woods. We set up where we saw one strutting yesterday morning. I heard gobbling, though not too much due to the wind. I think I'd set up wherever you see them normally feeding, as both toms did'nt break into strut once...