Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkey hunting in the rain ..waste of time? >

Turkey hunting in the rain ..waste of time?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey hunting in the rain ..waste of time?

Old 04-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Turkey hunting in the rain ..waste of time?

This is my second year to turkey hunt although I have deer hunted most all my adult life .... is it very productive to hunt turkey in a steady rain..not a drizzle but not a down pour ... just a steady rain?
Old 04-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey hunting in the rain ..waste of time?

I hunt every second I can in the spring and I think hunting in the rain can definately be productive. Turkeys like to go to the fields during the rain so setup along the edge of a field and maybe put some decoys out in the field and see what happens. I hunt out of a blind, especially in the rain so I dont get wet though. Good luck and give it a shot.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just remember that the turkeys spend there whole life out in the elements and a little rain is not going to stop them from breading and feeding
Old 04-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

First turkey I ever kilt was in the rain. It doesn't bother them much, they're out there all the time in it, and a lot of times the rain makes them hit fields.

Sucks for hunters though. I was miserable...that is until...I got the big boy, then I was all smiles.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:59 PM

Iv taken a Lot of Turkeys in the Rain! I just don't like the Look's of them Soaking Wet! Sort of like a Turkey Buzzard! Good Luck!
Old 04-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Rain wont keep me at home.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

From my experance they don't gobble as much .
I set up on a oak flat or feild edge call a little as sit a lot .
Stay sharp they will come in quite.

Johnch
Old 04-12-2005, 06:12 PM

The first turkey I took was in a pouring rain storm. Raining and blowing so hard I asked my self 100 times, "what the heck am I doing here!" I was hunting on a mountainside, far away from any fields. I had roosted the bird the afternoon before, it roosted early as it was blowing about 30-40 mph. That bird flew down in the pouring rain, not until an hour and a half after daylight, don't ask what I was still doing there! He came in gobbling and strutting like it was a perfect day out! I go every time I can, I've taken them in snowstorms also. Most times I find in bad weather they do come in silent. Like said before, they carry on their day to day activites no matter what the weather. They don't always leave the roost first thing in the morning though during inclimate weather. Good Luck!!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:25 PM

Doc,
Get yourself a decent popup blind like an Ameristep Doghouse and you won't care if it's raining or not. Then you can get out there regardless of the weather, cause the turkeys sure don't care.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

just because it's raining doesn't necessarily mean that they won't move. they may stay on the roost longer but they will move. you just have to adjust to how they move in the rain. usually they'll goto open fields and such so that they can see their predators coming since their hearing will be hindered.

Quick Reply: Turkey hunting in the rain ..waste of time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.