Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Any late season tips?

Old 04-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Any late season tips?

Anyone have any suggestions for late season? Should I leave the dekes at home? Should I cut and yelp or just use soft calls like a purr? HELP! I'm running out of time and I don't yet have a bird. I've seen some , called in a couple, but have yet to get a shot off. I haven't hunted as often as I would like to. The nearest placewith birds that I can hunt is 2 hrs away and with gas so high I just can't do it as often as I'd like. I have one more trip to make so I have to make it count. Thanks for the tips!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any late season tips?

My absolute last hunt of this year is tomorrow morning. I'm in the same boat! I am only going to use soft purrs and simple clucks. That's it. Of course that's about all I ever use though.

In the Knight & Hale Gobbler Guide says to keep it soft and simple. We are in transition period 3, but right at Transition period 4. The guide says get where you know they are, that they very easily patterened right now. So, find a strutting zone, and sit tight! Of course in Texas, you could be in either #2 or #3. Good luck!

Trae
Old 04-29-2006, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

If you know where they frequent at after fly-down hit the call a few times,that way the tom's will know your there(hen's)if they are with other hen's,Later on in the late morning the other hen's will go to sit and the Tom's will (should) head back your way to try to hook up with the hen's(you) they heard earlier.
I wish you luck in your quest
Old 04-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

It depends on the hunting pressure as well. But I would keep it simple purrs, clucks. Unless he gets aggressive, then I would be very vocal.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:27 AM

i've found late season turkeys fly down later...it's best to be VERY close to their fly down areas...also, i believe most hens leave the toms around mid-morning and the toms sorta 'troll' for more hens...so i keep moving.