Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Late season tips >

Late season tips

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late season tips

Old 12-18-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Late season tips

January 11 to 14

Southern Missouri

First post cuz I am icthin to get a deer

How would you hunt this? Had no time to scout but local farmer tells me deer are everywhere

Old 12-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Late season tips

I'd look for a major creek crossing and hope I got lucky as he!! with only 4 days to hunt and no scouting.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doany of the surrounding fields have any cut corn or standing corn? If so, I'd start walking the edges of the woods leading to those looking for heavily used trails entering the fields -- preferably near an inside corner if possible somewhere.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Doany of the surrounding fields have any cut corn or standing corn? If so, I'd start walking the edges of the woods leading to those looking for heavily used trails entering the fields -- preferably near an inside corner if possible somewhere.
As a matter of fact the fields to the left are standing dead corn.

I had two plans:

1. Walk into the wind near the creek, find a crossing and walk back to hang a stand. Just go to it each day.

2. Hang a stand each day near fields inside the woodline and sit until dark.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

My thoughts exactly.

Start on the edge and work your way back in if they don't show up before dark. Just don't walk thru the whole woods "SCOUTING" the first day there. You'll run all of the deer out of the woods.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

... and one BIG tip, which John sorta alluded to above: Don't hunt a spot unless the wind is in your favor, period. If it means hunting the OTHER side of the woods if the wind is wrong, do it. Sitting a spot even if you expect to see deer coming to a food source when the wind is blowing from your stand to their beds is fruitless; you'll never see the deer, and have wasted the evening. What's worse, is you'll have ruined the other three days as well.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 PM

Yup I am with you guys and the wind, it will determine where I hunt
Old 12-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-20-2007, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

That finger of woods on the left side may have some good trails between the two fields...
Old 12-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Not only what Greg stated above, but also look for very good cover that the deer/Big Bucks are possibly using to get to and from the food plots...if any. Good luck

Quick Reply: Late season tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.