Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Busting toms out of their strut zone >

Busting toms out of their strut zone

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Busting toms out of their strut zone

Old 04-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Busting toms out of their strut zone

Well it's bound to happen.I do it every year.I had been getting no response to my calling,and during mid-day I was tracking the roads looking for fresh sign,after a recent rain.I followed a couple of rarely used roads,and as I was approaching an open area with large live oaks,a big tom broke strut,and flew off.45 minutes later at a different spot a mile a way I busted another tom strutting in some open pines.Both times I saw them just before they saw me.My truck is very quiet.They were solo birds.

Now how often have you spooked a bird in his strut zone,and he came back?I am hunting on a military base,and I know there is alot of traffic,and alot of hunters in the area.Since it was the truck,and not me that scared them do you think they'll be back this weekend?

I figure not,but I'm hoping for a confidence boost anyways.I'll give it a shot anyways.I busted one tom last year,and he never came back.I busted one tom earlier this year,and he moved his strut zone about 250yds away.Anyone else have any other experiences with this?

Season is winding down here,and the birds are gobbling out.The toms have been eating alot more,and just hanging out in strut zones.Hens have been nesting for over a week or two.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:47 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Busting toms out of their strut zone

NOPE - NOT AT ALL...done the same thing in Michigan numerous times.......they are there cause they can see well....now the trick is to get there before them!

Now do be aware - that those birds are truck shy so they have been poked at by someone out of the truck. Do not park near there but walk in!

JW
Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 PM

The few I took after spooking earlier in the season was tough when you heard birds elsewhere.
You wanna leave and go after the gobbling birds but if you know he likes the area,it is worth staying.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

I am planning on parking 1/2 mile away,then biking within 250yds,then slipping in.Thanks for the reply JW,so you think they'll come back since it was just a truck?

I talked to a few other guys,and they say they have ran strutting birds out of fields in their trucks..etc almost daily,and they would return every day.I have alot of ground to cover,and I am closing in on 6 different birds,but I don't have many days left.I have to pick 2 or 3 to focus on.I don't want to waste any time if they may not come back.But it's going to be in the back of my mind.[8D]I guess I'll just have to break down,and slip in there and see.Thanks again for the response.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you mail man.I'm just gonna have to try.I'll let ya'll know if they come back.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:03 PM

Good luck