Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ohio Youth Season

Old 04-22-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Ohio Youth Season

went out this morning for the Ohio Youth Season....didnt hear any gobbles from the roost. but around 7:15 we called and had one gobble about 80 yards off. we called again to try to tell what direction he was, and this time he gobbled again and was at about 60 yards. it was incredible. we setup right there (my brother, dad, uncle, and me). worked him for about 20 min, but apparently he lost interest and went the other way. after a while we decided togo across the field to where my uncle and ihad heard another gobbler earlier in the week. we setup hoping to just call one in out of luck. well... about 3-4 min into being setup and calling, we all heard CLUCK, CLUCK, CLUCK about 40 yards away. we ended up having a hen come in, we hoped that she would have a gobbler with her, but didnt. she stuck around for about 5 min while we called back and forth. i was the closest to her, she was about ten yards away from me; i could have clobbered her if she was legal. after that we had no more luck the rest of the day. tomorrow we are gonna try going to the public land right across the street and see if we hear anything since there hasnt been anyone in there yet. hopefully i get a shot at my first turkey tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:34 PM

Default RE: Ohio Youth Season

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2006, 12:06 PM

Default RE: Ohio Youth Season

went out again today for the last day of the youth season before opening day tomorrow... we got to the public land we decided to hunt, and there wasnt a soul there. when we got there it was thundering, i got out of the car and all of a sudden GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE. everytime it would thunder, two or three birds would gobble. this was very exciting, we thought this was gonna be a good day. so we went out and set up on one of the birds that was gobbling. and just as his gobbles start to get closer, it starts to lightning like no other. so we high-tailed it back to the car to wait out the strom. we waited for about an hour until the hail, thunder, lightning, and radiculous amounts of rain passed. we get out of the car, and try all ideas we have for locating turkeys......... not a peep. the rest of the time we were there we didnt hear a thing. it was like someone flipped a switch and they shut up, which you cannot blame them for the storm that came through. hopefully these birds wont be too pressured during opening week, as the next time we can get out there is next weekend. good luck to all.