Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Ohio youth gun season >

Ohio youth gun season

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohio youth gun season

Old 11-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ohio youth gun season

Well this was my first year i was not allowed to participate in the youth gun season since it was started in Ohio so i went and helped push deer for one of my friends who could hunt. I live in southern Henry County and Putnam county is just to the south about 3 miles from where i hunt. I personally do not like to pressure the deer to much during youth gun but the boys from Putnam. today i was takin my friend around and we saw these guys sittin on the road lookin at a deer it turned out to be a nice 8 pt and we found out who owned the land and went and got permission when we went back these people somehow scared these deer into moving away from the area so we found them and now i just wanted to stop them from shootin these deer off the road without permission so we followed them and they got the deer to cross a road and when we got close the guy parked right in the middle of the road and would not let me go through so i could get my friend into the woods the deer were headed for all of a sudden three kids jump out of the back seat of the truck and just whalin shots at the deer from the road right there is where we should have called the cops but we werent thinkin about that we just had to keep up with the deer then the guy goes and turns onto another road and in the process skids out and almost looses control he gets down a ways and starts to pull over then notices the deer are going to the south so he peals out again and goes after them and he would have wrecked me if i werent a defensive driver after that we went to check with a landowner about this and they said we could hunt but they never gave the other people permission so we head over and while we were talkin to the landowner another kid gets outa the truck and goes up by an old barn and starts to whale off shots at 300-400 yds and he misses the deer 4 times we headed over to a woods and were gona see if the deer would come in the woods but they never did and we never saw them again and the other guys left so we figured the deer would be safe so we left and went to another property and sat around for a while but were unsuccessful.

My point of writting this story was to inform some people that fellow hunters are teaching children unethical ways of harvesting animals that are also completely illegal as well. the first youth season was great but they have become worse every year with people tresspassin and shooting from the road and everything just so their son or daughter can get a deer. the other thing is that one adult was in charge of 4 children which really i believe there should be a limit to the amount of children that can hunt with one adult. and i hope i never have to see these people again otherwise the old game warden and the sherriff are gonna get some phone calls to come arrest a father and his children because they cant take an animal ethically.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ohio youth gun season

as for the rule there is one 1 adult can have 2 kids book states it. its just to bad people have to teach there little ones unethical ways as*h**s
Old 11-20-2006, 04:08 PM

Yep gun hunting in Ohio is a total joke! That is why I mainly bow hunt anymore. Alot of peopole out there have no idea how to hunt deer. All they do is drive around and look for deer from the road and then sometimes they will ask but most of the time they just tresspass and jump out of the truck and get set up and push the deer like rabbits! Total idiots! No concept on how to scout and find deer and set up and wait at sunrise or sun set!

On a good note I set up my nephew in one of my bow blinds and he shot this saturday morning. Not big but he wanted him so I told him to take him.

Edit: Was taken in Hancock county just south of Arcadia

Old 11-21-2006, 07:49 AM

Seems the game wardens are never around when you need them but I am sure it is that way in most states. I have had guys hunting rabbit ,squirrel and pheasant during deer season. What gets me most is those not wearing any orange. I wear a orange hat when walking during bow season. I don't think I would look good with a few arrows sticking out of me. Bad enough I have to duck bulleys during gun season..LOL