Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Are birds gobbling in Tennessee? >

Are birds gobbling in Tennessee?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Are birds gobbling in Tennessee?

Old 03-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are birds gobbling in Tennessee?

Going to Tenn. this weekend for the opener. Hunting the western side near the river. Does anyone know if the birds are gobbling good yet? About a week ago I heard they weren't. Going to hunt til about Wednesday and then come back to Louisiana. Hope the birds are ready when I get back.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are birds gobbling in Tennessee?

I can't specifically say yes for Tennessee, but if they are anything like here in Nebraska, then the answer would be NO. NOT AT ALL.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:24 AM

Yes, the birds are gobbling hard here in Tennessee. First time i heard a shock gobble to a goose honk. They've also shock gobbled to a hammer smacking wood. Really cool stuff.

Good luck on your hunt here.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

They didn't this past w/end inwest and northwest Tennessee. I took myson to a WMAnext to the MIssissippi riverfor the youth hunt and we didn't hear a single morning gobble. Two other friends didn't hear any gobbling Saturday morning either at other locations in W. Tennessee. My father, hunting with another of his grandsons, saw 9 gobblers still together Saturday morning, which tells me they haven't had a good fight yet to establish dominance.

I finally got some Jakes to gobble in the afternoon on Saturday, and got on another turkey on Sunday afternoon gobbling at some crows. Neither seemed very interested in my passionate love talk from a diaphram and slate call. The jakes had a fight not long after I got one of them to gobble, so maybe they are about to split up.

It was cold all last week and w/end here in W. Tennessee. Temps in the morning ranged from 26-34 and highs were only in the 40's or barely 50. It shut them down for the w/end unfortunately. The previous w/end while scouting I saw gobblers strutting with hens and jakes chasing each other around. This week is supposed to be much warmer so maybe they will get going by Saturday.

Which county/area are you hunting in W. Tennessee? I'm familiar with most of it.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be hunting in Shelby County.