birds still gobbling hard >

birds still gobbling hard

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

birds still gobbling hard

Old 04-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default birds still gobbling hard

The season will be over in 6 days and the turkeys are still showing out. I heard 6 on Friday morning and have not been able to go back and hunt them. Usually by this time of the year they have almost stopped. I don't know if it is due to the rain messing up the hens that had nest or what the deal is.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: birds still gobbling hard

Yes, it has been a little strange in Florida this year. I thought for sur ethe gobbling would be over by now but a friend went out last weekend in Central Fl and heard the birds lightly gobble. They should be done by the end of this week.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

On Saturday morning near Troy, Al we had one gobble on the roost 4 times, he flew down and shut up. Couldn't get another note out of him. We checked over about 600 acres and couldn't get another gobble. I wonder if the hard rains earlier messed up the hens and they are re-nesting or something.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

On Saturday morning near Troy, Al we had one gobble on the roost 4 times, he flew down and shut up. Couldn't get another note out of him. We checked over about 600 acres and couldn't get another gobble. I wonder if the hard rains earlier messed up the hens and they are re-nesting or something.
That is about what it had to be. The birds I messed were on small hills that were surronded by water. I spent all morning from ankle to knee deep water. The south end of the land I was hunting on is around knee to waist deep. There are a pile of hens with every gobbler that I found. The first birds I saw that morning was a gobbler and a hen in water about 6 to 8 inches deep.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:13 AM
Fork Horn

I believe the birds are done in Central Florida. Have not heard anything in over a week