Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

striker wood...

Old 03-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default striker wood...

whats everyones favorite wood for strikers?? i make my own...maily from wood from a center of a log i split down....and carve it out with a knife by hand......so far my favorite has been black walnut...but i lost most of those now....and cant find anymore seasoned blackwalnut and am not going to hack trees just for a striker...the calls i use are a slate call i made on a lathe in shop class.....and old faithful....an ole yeller slatek call...think its kinda close to a ceramic surface.....sometimes i use glass...i have a cody glass and another glass i made...though the soundboard needs repositioned and i broke the surface last time so i doubt itll be in comission this season....right now i have a few pieces of red oak....and a UFO piece that was just beautiful......cant identify it...its not a pourus wood like oak......light colored..but a redish orangish color..maybe butternut?? im unsure still...and its very light compared to my red oak pieces....going to finish the red oak this weekend and state the UFO piece.....i also had good success getting old straight limbs and carving them down...easier and faster....just looking for more wood suggestions that i can find laying in the woods....and my buddy has bunchs of wood piles....im sure he wouldnt mind if i stole a few pieces of center wood.....anyone have suggestions?? also.....where can i find hard wood dowel rods local?? i tried lowes and walmart and a BIG craft store...found some oak...the dowl rods work nice in a corn cob....i love making strikers and having bunches of diffrent ones...they all sounds diffrent.....any suggestions.....thanx guys
Old 03-22-2006, 09:22 AM

Default RE: striker wood...

I have 10 strikers, all in different woods.
I love them all, and want more, cause every striker is different.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:29 AM

I made one out of cherry a year back. Sounded really good. TillI broke it sitting down
Old 03-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

i always carry a purple heart striker and now i bring my strikers made from a dogwood tree...they are beyond sweeeeeeeet.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I like the mellow sound of a chestnut striker on slate , I go to a rosewood for a slightly higher note .
Old 03-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser,

Check out this site...it may help you identify your wood...[8D]

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

I have a few secret woods that are quite nice...I also have an exotic wood mill 3/4 of a mile from my house, that manufacturers custom flooring. For some reason, their 1 inch scraps keep finding their way to my house...
Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx strut and rut...thats a good site maybe ill find it.....hopefully i can carve it down this weekend...hmmm looks like it very well may be butter nut....that is a danged good site with alot of info....its bookmarked! looks like butternut...is light like butternut...and feels soft like butternut....wonder if it could be.....thanx alot....ill be looking for some exotic wood this weekend while im home too....theres gota be something around home or even here at school...
Old 03-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bloodwood is my favorite.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:48 AM

I like a purpleheart for slate and a diamondwood or other harder striker for glass. Plum makes a good all around striker also.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:45 PM

i am VERY new at this (havent trky hunted and not sure exactly what a turkey sounds like) )and want to start making my own turkey calls .i all ready took a piece of slate,rubbeb it on the concrete until it was smooth and chalky,and took a scrap of unknown wood and made it squre and alittle rounded on the bottom.what shape would you make, it?and also if any body has any detailed instructions on mouth ,box, or slate calls,could you post a link please?i havent even put the slate in a box yet,as iv read on one of my very vague search results this is the proper thing to do.(also,my friend showed my a litttle rabbit screamer about the size of and eraser, but just to be mean wouldnt show me how to make it.i think instead of a read,he put a paper clip or something.any one know how to do that?)

Quick Reply: striker wood...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.