Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

where do i shoot?

Old 03-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default where do i shoot?

I was wondering where on a turkey i would aim for if i was using a bow. this will be my second spring turkey hunting and id like to do it with a bow, for added challenge, and saving my shoulder from 12g magnum loads. im pretty good at shooting out to about 30yrds but after that i cant stay still. also what kind of broadhead do you use?

thanks for any help
Old 03-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: where do i shoot?

Any broadhead used for deer will work for turkey but this is where I feel a good mechanical really works.

The ideal shot on a turkey is when they are in full strut and facing away from you. Shoot them right where the tail feathers come together...Texas heart shot you could say.This also allows you to draw because their heads are behind their fan assuming your not in a blind. Also at full strut and facing you, you want to shoot them just above the beard but be careful not to shoot the beard off. When the bird is sideways to you in strut or not you want to nail the wing joint and if your good enough, a neck/head shot will put them down quick.

If you get a chance to study a McKenzie full strut turkey target, the ten rings are pretty much dead on as well as it's upright jake target....except on angles....keep that in mind and good luck.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, I could not say it any better.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Out of all the turkeys I've killed. I've only shot one in strut... So if I was bow hunting I would be screwedPressuredmountainGobblers tend to come in on full aleart!!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

If their at full alert make sure you have a blind to conceal your movement. Make sure you use a draw weight your comfortable with to where you can pull it straight back. That doesnt mean pointing your bow skyward and draw that way. Thats too much movement. I agree with Rob as to where to shoot on the turkey.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Adirondack Hunter

I was wondering where on a turkey i would aim for if i was using a bow. this will be my second spring turkey hunting and id like to do it with a bow, for added challenge, and saving my shoulder from 12g magnum loads. im pretty good at shooting out to about 30yrds but after that i cant stay still. also what kind of broadhead do you use?

thanks for any help
http://www.bowhunting.net/wildturkey.net/default.htm

see if this doesnt help! [8D]
Old 03-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

try this link i think it will help!

http://www.nwtf.org/message_board/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=general&Number=222 818&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7 &fpart=

[8D]