Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Albino Turkey

Old 03-01-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Albino Turkey

Well gang, Here's the deal. Bought land in good old rocky top and the neighbors told me tales of the great white turkey. To be honest, I thought they were just, "bsing" me, to make me feel good about my purchase.

Now, up to this point I haven't even seen a turkey track, but to be fair, the woods here are different than what I'm used to, and they are covered with leaves due to winter.

The other day while scratching out some walking trails and starting some new food plots on the property I heard them. Yeah baby. Didn't see them though.

Today, got to the property eairly and low and behold, there they were. The mythical "white buffalo" included. I saw the albino first, I thought it was a white plastic trash bag at first until I moved closer. Then I saw all of its friends.

I only had a "camera phone" on me at the time.[:@] I've tried to send "distance" shots via this phone and they don't really come out that great.

So, bottom line: my internet purchase of land has paned out great in regards to wildlife and the added kicker of a albino turkey.

The turkey is pure white, (like snow), with dark black spec's. You can sure bet that when I get a good photo, I'll post it here for you all to see.

Here's a link to another site to bring those of you that might be interested up to speed of my relocation. http://www.southernsportingdesigns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583
Old 03-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Albino Turkey

I've seen a few albinos.One was a jake that was snow white all but the beard which was black. The most awesome was a hen that was all white with jet black markings on the tall feathers and wings. Prettiest thing I've ever seen.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

If it has black specs it is a piebald bird not an albino. I'm glad your land holds wildlife.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: TurkeyStalker

If it has black specs it is a piebald bird not an albino.
Never heard of this? What does that mean? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

never seen a true albino turkey before
Old 03-02-2006, 02:38 PM

Within the two main flocks of turkeys that come through my ranch and nursery, I have more than a dozen true albino white turkeys, pinks eyes and pure white, with pink skin. I have responded on a similar handful of posts like this, and I have seen a minority of sightings out there, yet the turks do exist. Some years ago, the fish and game would come out and dispose of the birds, because they did not want the albino gene to become dominant in the flock. I agree with this, because of predation, poachers and looky loos, yet with the number of normal colored turks to albinos, i have yet to see the albino gene take the majority hold throughout the flock.

At this point, I do the selecting of the albino's through turk season, limiting only one albino a year, and taking two colored in addition. I do not let fish and game come out, because they end up destroying the bird with a rifle shot, and not using the bird or letting me take the bird for harvest, meat( if any, after a damn rifle shot), feathers, guts and trophies( beard, spurs, etc.). As long as I do the selecting every year, and limiting the numbers of albino's in the flock, then there is no need for the fish and game dept. to come out with their bazooka.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any turkeys on the Fort Campbell military base are free game if they have any white on them.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:17 PM

ive never seen one but ive heard of em

Old 03-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Now that would be one odd thing to see an albino turkey! I haven't heard of any in my area. It would be cool to see one though.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:18 PM

heres what they look like

Quick Reply: Albino Turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.