HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Albino Turkey
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Coyotestalker

Default RE: Albino Turkey

Within the two main flocks of turkeys that come through my ranch and nursery, I have more than a dozen true albino white turkeys, pinks eyes and pure white, with pink skin. I have responded on a similar handful of posts like this, and I have seen a minority of sightings out there, yet the turks do exist. Some years ago, the fish and game would come out and dispose of the birds, because they did not want the albino gene to become dominant in the flock. I agree with this, because of predation, poachers and looky loos, yet with the number of normal colored turks to albinos, i have yet to see the albino gene take the majority hold throughout the flock.

At this point, I do the selecting of the albino's through turk season, limiting only one albino a year, and taking two colored in addition. I do not let fish and game come out, because they end up destroying the bird with a rifle shot, and not using the bird or letting me take the bird for harvest, meat( if any, after a damn rifle shot), feathers, guts and trophies( beard, spurs, etc.). As long as I do the selecting every year, and limiting the numbers of albino's in the flock, then there is no need for the fish and game dept. to come out with their bazooka.