Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

60yd shoot out

Old 02-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default 60yd shoot out

Not too good.I have taken birds this far,and I am not going to shoot this far again if I can help it.The results...only one shot this time.

Same paper 21"x20" Quaker boy target.
3.5" Win HV #4's
Tru-glo pro series magnum gobble dot...Open sights

Mad max=on paper 79...in a 12" circle 28...in thehead and spine3
Star-dot=on paper 77...in a 12" circle 23...in thehead and spine1

I am switching back to my Mad Max .665.
I took another shot w/ Mad max at 55yds(My average "long" shot)and got9 hits in the head and spine.So,that's my max.

So,the Mad max won overall,but barely,and cost $40 more.

Now just for fshafly2,here's my 30 yd pattern on a 11"x11" H.S.strut target.

There are an average of 270 #4's in a 2oz load.I got 192 on the paper,161 of those hits in a 10" circle.

Front...

Back...

If anyone is interested as to what got me to this point,here is the link to the fed#4,an Win#4...And 4 different choke "shootout at 50yds"...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1423652

Old 02-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 60yd shoot out

go for it.
-fsh
Old 02-23-2006, 07:05 PM

i agree with fshafly2. go for it. that'll one dead bird.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good 30 yard pattern.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the shootout results ranchhand. I'm glad someone finally put some pictures of therepattern that just wasn't a fist size hole and say this was my pattern at 40 yards all 450 pellets in a 6'' circle. I have spent who knows how much money on chokes and ammo for 4 different shotguns (including rhino nitro combo) and haven't got these world record patterns that people claim to get. Ithought I've just got to find the right combination, I finally bought a mossberg and got it. It's not the world record but I think It is about the best I will find 19 pellets in the brain and spine at 4o and 26 pellets at 30 yards. Our patterns look to be about the same so I hope you didn't have to go through all the trouble that I did.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iread a lot of people on hear saying that they shoot turkeys at 60 yards and I read a lot of people on hear say they get great patterns at 60 yards...

that 30 yard pattern is decent but there is now way that pattern is going togive you a killing pattern at60 yards...I really don't think it would be much better than average at 40... Ten yards will take a whole lot ofthose pellets out of that pattern...

Itonly looks like you got maybe 16 hits in the vitals (brain/neck vertebra)ten more yards and you might get half that in the vitals...

All my turkey guns(3) throw patterns as good or a little better at 30yards, and I wouldn't dream of a 50 yard shot let alone 60... I reallly think 99% of the people on hear that say they have guns that shot killing patterns at 60 yards really need to learn how to use a tape measure
Old 02-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

that looks like an ok pattern at 30 yards. i looks like you shot kinda low. i don't know whether it's just me but you seem to have quite a few pellets in the breast than up towards the head.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

killmeatm,you are getting great patterns.Your numbers are just about like mine.I wouldn't change a thing.This patterning thing is over rated,as far as hits in a 10" circle,and 90% of the people do not understand how to find the most effective choke/load combo.You have a great one though.

Hunter06flky It is a hair low,I have to adjust my sights.

Mr.longbeard In the 30yd pattern there were22 hits in the brain/vertebrae,40 total in the neck.I guess you can't see all the hit's in my pic.I pointed them out.Mr.Longbeard,I do agree that alot of people don't know how to measure distance correctly,but I do...besides having forestry in school,and knowing how to step off distance,I measure distances in my job putting down asphalt.I do also own a 100ft measuring tape.Howeveryou are quite wrong about this guns long range performance.....these are #4's.

22 hits in brain/spine at 30yds
17 hits in brain/spine at 40yds
12 hits in brain/spine at 50yds
9 hits in brain/spine at 55yds
3 hits in brain/spine at 60yds

You can plainly see just a 5yd distance(55-60),and the gun is losing it.55 is my new max.However this gun has/can kill at 60yds.Don't forget pellets do also hit the breast,wing bones,legs,and back.They all combine for a hard hit.4's still retain the type of energy needed on that type of shot.Not that I am saying everyone/anyone else can do it.

30yd again.With hit's pointed out.Not counting the one's below the feathers.

50yds12 in the brain vertebrae/16 total in the neck

Still spread real good at 50yds,but also has enough pellets where they need to be.

If a bird ducks at 30,40,or 55yds,he's still dead.That is the beauty of #4's.There are not as many,but they retain there velocity,and hold patterns better at longer distances...

Let me show you the head of a turkey that was shot at 30yds.I just pointed out the hits onone of his waddles.The whole head looks like that.

I still don't understand why I feel the constant need to prove myself to some of you?I'm not an idiot,and I know how to pattern a gun.Experts agree 3-5 hits in the BRAIN and SPINE will kill a turkey.IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT PUTTING50 PELLETS IN HIS BRAIN AT 50YDS.IT'S ABOUT HAVING AN EVENLY DISTRIBUTED PATTERN,INCASE A BIRD DUCKS OR MOVES,AND THAT WAY YOU CAN STILL
HIT HIM WHEN HE MOVES HIS HEAD.THAT IS WHY SO MANY PEOPLE MISS,THE DON'T LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE.THEY ARE SO CONCENTRATED ON HITTING ONE SMALL 10" CIRCLE.LOOK AT YOUR 20" & 30" CIRCLE PATTERNS AT 40YDSAS WELL...LOOK FOR GAPS,as well a****s in the spine,and brain.I can give you the facts,it's up to you to accept them.GEEZ.

Maybe that's why I have recovered all my birds.Even the ones in the 55yd range,that I routinelyDROP yearafter year.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:28 PM

Ranchhand I agree with you 100% I would rather have a fairly open pattern at say 30 yards than one that just blows a fist size hole in the paper because with a real tight pattern it is easy to miss them. If you have 5 pellets hit him at 30 yards he is just as dead as 50 pellets hitting him so I would rather have a15 inch pattern with the pellets evenly distributed throughout the pattern. That way if the turkey moves his head a liitle you don't miss them. I have missed my fair share at 20 and less because the pattern is so small and a turkeys head is constantly moving. Your pattern is just fine and if you have 9 pellets in the brain and spine at 55 yards then you have got your max yardage. I shoot win xtended range #6' and my pattern is good to fifty yards (that is as far as Ive shot it ) with 13 pellets in the brain and spine of primos turkey target, even though I shouldn't shot one that far but if I miss judge the yardage a little I'll be fine I try not to shoot them past 40 yards.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO AGREES!There is hope!I'm glad we're on the same page.I try not to shoot past 50,but I am terrible at ranging a fluffed up tom.Especially in the heat of the moment.I know what my gun will do.As I've said many times before.I don't squeeze off when I think he's 50.I try to call him in closer,but if something happens,or if I feel like he is not coming closer than 50 or so.I will shoot.Thank you for the reply killmeatm!

Quick Reply: 60yd shoot out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.