Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Is it right to bait for turkeys? >

Is it right to bait for turkeys?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Is it right to bait for turkeys?

Old 02-11-2006, 03:27 PM

Default RE: Is it right to bait for turkeys?

I don't see anything wrong with a feeding program for wildlife. as much habitat as humans take away for new sub-divisions and golf courses.
conservation is the key, don't take more than you need and always leave some seed.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: turk2di

As long as its b4 the season and all baits removed according to state law. Many hunters do that to help turkeys thru the winter with the added benefit of keeping turks around, escpecially so if the neighboring farm is doing so!
Right on the money!!!Too many around here feed them as pets and than complain later because they end up making a mess of there flower beds and dont care to step in turkey droppings....
Old 02-12-2006, 10:10 AM

I'll be hand scattering corn this season for turkey. I'm trying to find a good call to use.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:09 PM

I agree with the state laws and the concerning issue about when to supplement and why. For me, I stick to year round food plots if I can, weather permitting. My clover, chufa, buckwheat, chicory, corn and the like grow 9 months of the year, and then the oats, forage hay, and winter clovers take care of the colder months. I know some colder states cannot do that, but there are native grasses, prarie plants, and cold tolerant clovers and peas that you can plant and have great success. You can even bring in certain insects, grubs, worms, and beetles with certain food plots. But as for dry grain, corn, or even oats, I don't supplement, as the food plots do more than supplementation, they provide a landscape for the turks, quail, and the pheasant. Since incorporating food plots 8 years ago, I have had a better population with better health and nutiritional improvements. If anyone needs help of food plots, even in the most horrible soil, let me know. I am a horticulturalist, nurseryman, and farmer. Sorry to ones for getting off the subject, but I just wanted to show that just dry grains and minerals are not the only option, and sometimes statewise, its not an option at all.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I had that prob
Old 02-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

The whole point is to call a gobbler in it doesn't seem to me that its that exciteing.