Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Walk N' Talk?? How has it worked for you? >

Walk N' Talk?? How has it worked for you?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Walk N' Talk?? How has it worked for you?

Old 02-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Walk N' Talk?? How has it worked for you?

Hey,
Last year i tried sitting in the morning and calling then like an hour or so after daylight, i would try walking 50 yards and calling and then when i would hear a gobble, set up my decoys and get ready for him to come in, it worked twice! the first time however i missjudged the distance and smoked a tree, so i ruined that one, but the second one i walked and talked, and he came right in again, and took him at 30 yards, how has it worked for you?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Walk N' Talk?? How has it worked for you?

I dont generally do that. If I do I am more apt to use a crow call when I stop thana turkey call. It can work at times but can backfire if you bump birds. I prefer getting out early and hearing them on the roost and getting closer for my set up. If all else fails, I find a likely spot and just wait them out. All these ways can work, I guess it is just personal preferance. So good luck in which ever way you choose to hunt, hope to hear some good success stories!
Old 02-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

I had a friend of a friend who was killed in VA in the fall walking/calling many years ago. This guycame up a small rise calling and approached another hunter who mistook him for a turk. Call only while you are sitting and can observe your surroundings. If you think that calling like a hen in the spring should be a safety factor - NOT. My friend John was shot in the back (he survived) while yelping in Franklin Co, VA many years ago - his mistake was sitting in mountain laurel, notagainst a tree. Protect yourself at all times! No doubtcalling whilewalking can be effective - the real birds do it, and turks may get suspicious of calling from a fixed location. A turk is just not worth the added risk. There are ways to compensate: learn to throw your calling behind or to the sides with a mouth or tube call, or make the bird hunt you by not calling so much.
-fsh
Old 02-04-2006, 05:05 PM

Runnin' and Gunnin' has worked pretty well for me. I mostly do this during the middle of the day or evenings though. In the mornings, at daylight, I let the birds talk, then try to set up as close to them as I can and call.

I like using my owl call. Even during the middle of the day a hot gobbler will sound off at it when they won't a crow. Crows are so abundant here, I've never really hadgood luck with a crow call.

If I do use a turkey call, I use my Knight and Hale AlumiStrut and let out a few loud sharp cutts.

Personally, I don't see how runnin' and gunnin' is any more dangerous than sitting behind a decoy, calling. Point blank, if there is a irresponsible hunter around, accidents will probably happen no matter what set up you are in. If someone is stupid enough to shoot at a sound, you know they will blast away at a decoy.

I am sorry for your lose, but theres no way to tell if they would have NOT gotten shot if they were not runnin' and gunnin'.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutnBPS

Personally, I don't see how runnin' and gunnin' is any more dangerous than sitting behind a decoy, calling. Point blank, if there is a irresponsible hunter around, accidents will probably happen no matter what set up you are in. If someone is stupid enough to shoot at a sound, you know they will blast away at a decoy.

I am sorry for your lose, but theres no way to tell if they would have NOT gotten shot if they were not runnin' and gunnin'.
Strut:
What I callrunnin'&and gunnin': move 200 yds, set up against a tree, and call loud and aggressively - 2 to 5 minutes of waiting for a response, and I am up and moving to the next spot. It's much easier to spot someone approaching if you are stationary, all thewhile afforded the protection of a tree at your back. I have no problem with the technique - it works and it's somewhat safe. The original post was about "Walk&Talk": call while moving ona bird or blind calling - no way can you spot a camouflaged hunterwhile walking,nor protect yourself. You are adding "movement" to the situationwheresomeonesittingcan be gettingveryexcited at the approach of a"noisy" turkey.
While hunters have been mistaken forgamejust walking through the woods without making a sound, it's justnot the same as adding turkey calls to the mix (imho) - also, I'd just as soon that my decoy get shot at than me. While I have never had my decoys shot (partner did), Ihave had several turkeysshot at in front of meby unseenstalkers over the years- it tends to put the fear of God in you.
Noturkey huntergoes into the woods thinkingthat they are going to shoot another hunter today, it's not called "accident" for nothing.You and I will have to agree to disagree on the risks, but you should be aware of the risks involved and how to tip the odds of a safe hunt in your favor...
-fsh

Old 02-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Run and gun, float calling, walk and talk, whatever you might call it has been very successful for me....very successful.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:25 PM

FSH:

If I can't get anything off the roost and have to start off "blind". I will call using a loud cutt or an owl call, then walk about 100 yards and call again.

If I hear a bird, I try to range him. Then, I make a decision to move closer WITHOUT CALLING UNTIL I GET SET UP. Or I just get set up and call to him, if he is already close enough.

So, I think I do the same as you do. I took this guys post as him doing the same thing. Maybe he means that he calls while he is STEPPING? I don't know. Here in SC, you can't shoot a hen period. So, I think its pretty safe for now. I might change my mind if something happens, but so far nothing hasn't and I think God for that.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutnBPS
FSH:
...So, I think I do the same as you do. I took this guys post as him doing the same thing. Maybe he means that he calls while he is STEPPING? I don't know. Here in SC, you can't shoot a hen period. So, I think its pretty safe for now.
- Agree that we share the technique- I alsolike to use a peacock call to get birds to sound off, particularly in the later part of the season when cutts, hoots, hawk screams,and caws have worn out their welcome.
- I read the original post as calling while walking, so it will not be clear unless bushmaster_5bkowades back in.Again, do not ever think you are safe just because you are using hen calls in the spring - you are safer for sure, but not safe.
-fsh
Old 02-05-2006, 07:00 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I have done it - with great success. tis another method for one to use.

Though I call it Trolling for Turkeys! But as others have said - safety is a factor here.

And one thing I did learn that others haven't mentioned!. Before you call make sure you got a spot to sit-down and I mean now!
More than one time I was right on top of the bird - I called - he came running in before I was ready!

JW
Old 02-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice from all here..No question safety first..Basically what this amounts too is using a turkey call as a locator as I read this post.JW gives some very wise advice in making the point of setting up before you call...I've done it with great success too,but I might add this technique has worked the best for me in areas I know the birds dont get alot of pressure.I have seen and hunted birds that pattern hunters that "walk and talk'and also that'drive and talk' from there auto or quad.Not every gobbler will answer a hen call right off the bat.Good way to locate a willing bird for sure but IMHO a hot gobbler will answer another type of locator just the same giving you an opportunity to set-up on him at your leisure and plan a little strategy in doing so....good luck all...Bob

Quick Reply: Walk N' Talk?? How has it worked for you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.