Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Walk N' Talk?? How has it worked for you? >

Walk N' Talk?? How has it worked for you?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Walk N' Talk?? How has it worked for you?

Old 02-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Walk N' Talk?? How has it worked for you?

great tactic especially out west on merriams whereb you have allot of ground to cover I like to use a locater call coyote howler or a peacock call then move in and setup I also will do allot of glassing and listening to locate as well Good Luck
Old 02-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

I do it all the time.If I don't hear a tom within an hour of first light,I get to moving.Riding my bike,driving down roads,or walking,As others have mentioned..I keep safety in mind.I only do my locating on trails,or roads,where I am in plain sight.If I see another hunters truck I leave that area all together.I don't actually walk through the bushes calling.You're right that is very dangerous.I usually go about 200 steps between tries.When I get a Tom to respond I get off the road,and go in his direction,or set up right where I am if he's close.I don't call again until I'm set up.After I get set up I start trying to call him in.This is another reason why it is best to set up on a tree that is wider than your body.I'm paranoid of someone slipping up behind me.[8D]
Old 02-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

I have done it ocassionally, and had results a few times. I basically try to stay put until the old butt gets numb and I cant stand it anymore. Then I'll up and move on.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:46 PM

Noturkey huntergoes into the woods thinkingthat they are going to shoot another hunter today, it's not called "accident" for nothing.You and I will have to agree to disagree on the risks, but you should be aware of the risks involved and how to tip the odds of a safe hunt in your favor.
any hunter that shoots at sounds and not identify his target, bout as well think to him self,"I think I'll Shoot someone today".because it could happen every day he goes afield. [&:][:@][&:][:@]
I had my decoy shoot right in front of me by a hunter shooting a rifle,thats not a good feeling.then he would not even say anything when I hollored and I mean hollered loud.[:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@]
when a turkey hunter shoots another hunter,to me it's not an accident by any means.it's "STUPIDITY"

I guess you and I will have to agree to disagre on this also.JMHO
Old 02-06-2006, 07:44 AM

I agree with JW on the point of being ready. When I first started I got busted a couple times by birds that either didn`t gobble but came running or birds that were so close they answered and walked out almost as quick as I called.