Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Who are the top custom call makers? >

Who are the top custom call makers?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Who are the top custom call makers?

Old 01-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Who are the top custom call makers?

Thanks guys.deerslayerSC I'm going to e-mail him,and see if he will be at the Turkeyrama in Perry.Feb 10-12.Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

So tell me, whose opinion are you going to take for fact?
I'm just asking for opinions.Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:56 PM

Here a new callmaker thats making incredible sounding calls http://www.gobblestalkercalls.com/ Call him and talk to himI`m sure he canmake exactly what your looking for at a reasonable price.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:07 PM

Ya Mr. Bartley makes a nice call
Old 01-28-2006, 10:33 PM

I don't consider "over the counter" calls as custom so I don't think my Woodhaven calls are customs. BUT a grand custom call maker I DO recommend checking into is Robert Clifft of Bolivar, TN. One of his box calls won The National lastyear at the annual NWTF convention. He aptly names his calls, "The Last Call". Because that is the last call you will ever need, and he happily laughs that that is the last call a ol Tom will ever hear! Depending on what wood he uses, some of them are works of art as well. He is building me a singleside of mahagony and fiddleback maple that is OUT of this world. In fact he showed me the 3 calls he is taking too the Natonals just the other day. His fiddleback sounded AMAZING. Customers in the store came running while hearing it ring through the building!

I have the honor of taking him with me this spring too my family place in southern MO. Mr. Clifft is 81 years old, can't hear real well (his wife approves of his final tuning for his appx 100 calls handbuilt annually) but is a turkey chaser from waaaaaaaaaaaaay back!!!

Can't wait,
RA
Old 01-29-2006, 02:42 AM
Typical Buck

Bobgobble2 makes a great point. I try to let people hearour calls with several different strikers. That's what we mean when we say matching a call with a striker. You can take a good pot call and 4 strikers, and you have 4 different sounds. The striker has aMAJOR affect on the sound of the call. Any of the guys mentioned so farmake great calls. You can't go wrong with any of them as long as they'll stand behind their calls. If they don't stand behind them, spend your money elsewhere. And Woodhaven is not a custom call.Unless youcall 'em up and ask for a specific type of wood for thepot and configuration of glass or slate, there isn't much customizing involved. I'd check out www.customcalls.com or www.ushuntingforums.com. Lots of good people who can help you find what you want without breaking the bank. There are several guys in your neck of the woods that make great calls. If you can make it to Nashville next month, there will be aton of us there peddling ourcalls at the NWTF Convention. Some of the best in the industry will be there, and you can play the call for yourself before you fork over the dough. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:15 PM

I agree with slee about changing strikers with each call. I have DOZENs of calls like most other longtime turkey chasers but I primarily carry 3-4 slates with me (I don't use diaphrams) and with the exception of Mr. Clifft's boxes, I have rarely heard a box I liked. However with several strikers you can sound like a flock of birds with just one slate. I like to be VERY raspy while calling and have found that I can take a most any material "slate" and make it raspy with a cherry (or other dark, soft wood) striker. Even metal and glass calls. Typically I have my favorite two slates in a carrier on my belt along with 4 different strikers stuck in the carrier. I don't recall EVER sticking with a striker that actually came with a call.

Calls are like tubes/loads, don't be afraid to experiment!
RA
Old 01-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've dropped a few $$$ on some custom slates!!! And I'm always looking for anotherBut when it comes to hunting I always take my Gramms Mountain Side in the turkey woods... I payed like $25.00 for it... Harrisburg show
Old 02-01-2006, 02:43 PM

check out larry gresser his site is www.prairiegamecalls.com his copper call is fantastic, with the iron wood striker, i killed 4 longbeards last year with his call. he is also in midwest turkey call mag.