Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 turkey feeding observation >

turkey feeding observation

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey feeding observation

Old 01-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default turkey feeding observation

over the years watching turkeys feed i have noticed that they feed in little circular patterns some times overlapping where they just came from maybe 30 min. does that explanation make any sense? I have used this tactic setting up and waiting for them to return any one else notice this?
Old 01-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: turkey feeding observation

You know I hadn't even thought about it,but I have noticed that also now that you mention it.I haven't noticed it as much on Gobblers,but if he's following the hens....
Old 01-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

last year i heard this bird drumming so i snuck over there and watched them they were doing that little circle deal probably had 10 hens so i backed out and set up below them and sure enough they circled right back to me
Old 01-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ulti,every situation isn't the same obviousily but I have noticedboss gobblers undisturbed with his harem of hens can sometimes cover a very very short area particularly right off the roost!As they all hit the ground off the limb he(the boss)begins to gather them up and in so doing alot of times will push a hen that strays a little right back in with the other hens and consequently they travel very slow and not very far!Alot of times as he push's them around they have no where to go but backwards!
Now,if you have other gobblers,birds flying in different directions off the roost,birds not roosted with his harem,etc,things can change and the birds can travel lining out leaving there flydown area.Good feed and water can play a roll here too.But you make a good observation.....Patience is a virtue in this sport,I hear alot of guys talk about the gobbler sounding off on the roost but upon flydown get lockjaw....this is a classic example of a mature gobbler with his hens...Lot of hunters make the mistake here of leaving thinking the bird is gone when he really isn't!Lots of gobblers are bumped at this point in the hunt as a hunter losing patience gets up to move or leave not knowing the bird hasn't moved off!Staying put or moving just a 100yards in a situation like this can pay-off bigtime simply because via your observation...I'll add this too just because a gobbler hits the ground and stops gobbling doesn't mean he OR his hens aren't making any audible noises.Strutting,scratching,walking,and low key turkey talk(clucks,purrs,and soft yelps,can clue you in as to where the birds are at and if there still there or not.I use my ears as much or more than my eyesin the spring woods...good luck all..Bob
Old 01-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

I agree Bobgobble about patience I do not know how many times I have bumped birds thinking they have moved off with lockjaw, back in my earlier hunting days it seemed the pace of life was allot slower as I got older it (life) has gotten more faster paced and therefor it made me more inpatient while hunting I realized this a few years back and now I FORCE myself to be patient
Old 01-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

You guys are both right.
HEhehee,I remember about7 years ago when I was a cocky newbie.(You know one of those 6 bird professionals[8D])In my 3rd season I was too gung ho chasing toms on the local WMA.I came up on this old timer who told me I sounded real good,but I need to call less,and not move to the bird.Well,I shrugged him off,and thought what does he know..He's just mad 'cause we're after the same bird.Well,2 more years of bumping more birds than I care to remember,andhonestlythe only birds thatI had luck with....Were 2 year old kamakazi's.I thought about that old timer,and I started calling less(alot less),not moving to the bird,but rather to the side or in front of him if I thought there may be an obstacle between us,forced myself to sit longer,and magically started getting more birds.

My 2nd lesson was if you get into a conversation with a wise bird...He'll just sit there and gobble back,then eventually lose interest in you.You have to work him up,and then shut up on him.A few times of that and he'll get anxious.

Back then,when a bird shut up,that's when I used to move in.I finally learned that when he goes quiet he may very likely be coming in...not leaving.(It's so Silly to me now that I didn't know...It's so basic.)Then I started getting alot more mature birds.I was under the wrong Impression,because most of the birds I took in the beginning were on private land,and were loud mouthed 2 year olds,and gobbled all the way in.That is actually a bad way to get started.I am self taught,and I hope none of you learned this the hard way likeI did.

I have to force myself to be patient too ultimag.I still like to move,but IMHOmy judgement has gotten better.Bob,ultimag,you guys seem like you have been in the game for awhile.I've learned alot since then,but if there's anything ya'll want to teach me,well I'm alot less stubborn now than when I was younger.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

99,battling with an old woodwise gobbler can not only bea great learning experience but a humbling one too!!I know they've wooped me enough but it just makes itoh so sweet when a good plan comes together and you fool him!!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

I get wooped pretty regular that is half the fun matching wits with them old gobblers allot of the times its the hens you gotta fool especially these days with turkey populations growing