Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 An observation.......... >

An observation..........

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

An observation..........

Old 09-09-2005, 04:08 PM

Default An observation..........

I've changed bows since I ordered my new arrows..... So, I knew they were a tad underspined...... After finally getting around to cutting them a tad shorter to stiffen them up, my shooting has improved greatly!!! The last 2 times out I was really stroking the bullseye out to 30yds..... Which is good for me.....

So...... to the all the new guys like me...... The FIRST thing you need to do is tune those arrows!!!!! I had already bareshaft tuned, but that didn't really work for me, b/c I use the feather as an anchor and with the bare shafts I could never really tell if I was reaching the correct anchor..... The broadhead tuning test will solve that problem...... If you can get those bad boys to fly good, you're set.....
Old 09-09-2005, 10:25 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: An observation..........

Actually you need to get your bow tuned--get your silencers placed and brace height where you want it--but you make a great point. Arrows that aren't the right spine won't only affect your accuracy, but more importantly a wobbly arrow will really impede penetration--not to mention an arrow with a wag might clip a twig on a tight shot and turn a double lung into a gut shot or miss.

Chad
Old 09-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your bow definitely has to be tuned, but DC makes a great point. With compounds, you have all kinds of adjustments you can make to tune the bow to the arrow. Traditional bows don't have that kind of capability. You have to tune the arrow to the bow.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice...I'll be needing it next week....I bought some new arrows today for the bow at my local shop...since the ones I ordered were not in stock...
Old 09-10-2005, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: LBR

Actually you need to get your bow tuned--get your silencers placed and brace height where you want it--but you make a great point. Arrows that aren't the right spine won't only affect your accuracy, but more importantly a wobbly arrow will really impede penetration--not to mention an arrow with a wag might clip a twig on a tight shot and turn a double lung into a gut shot or miss.

Chad

Good point.....
Old 09-11-2005, 11:05 AM

To add to this, I bare shat tuned once, but still had to fine tune after installing a broadhead, so now all i do is shoot and tune with field points and broadhead. Make sure you don't wait till a couple days before the season to shoot a broadhead, shoot them thoughout the year, they will tell you in a hurry if something is out of kilter.