Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Do you agree or disagree ?    Shotpatterns >

Do you agree or disagree ? Shotpatterns

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do you agree or disagree ? Shotpatterns

Old 01-11-2002, 11:45 PM

Default RE: Do you agree or disagree ? Shotpatterns

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Guy's , I'm going to ruffle feathers here, but this is the way I see it ( just My opinion) There are lots of different chokes out there and Turkey shells, Talking penitration and the Knock down power of a shell, A lot of hunters have over looked the logical way of patterning there Shotguns. An average Turkey gun shooting out to 35 yards at a target will hit the target. Now that gun shooting #4 turkey loads is only going to put so many pellets in the Target. The same gun at the same target with #6 is going to almost double the hits because the #6 has almost twice the pellets in the load then #4. The thing is at the 35yard distance the #4 is going to have more pounds per energy then the #6's. Most guns will pattern the #4's but the hunter tends to lean to the #6's because of the amount of pellets in the target and forgetting that it only takes a couple to Kill the bird. My opinion #6's should be kept at a 30 yard range, because of the hitting power of the shot.Maybe turkey hunters should be patterning there guns with #4-#5 and forget the #6's because there always going to out shoot the other two loads. What do you think ?...BT
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 01-12-2002, 12:10 AM

i know everyone has an opinion, but this is how it works for me. i used to have a 835 ulti-mag 3.5 with a 24 inch barrel. i once shot a gobbler at 46 paces using federal #6's 2oz. shot with the special turkey choke that came with it. the boss jumped up and ran off leaving half of his feathers behind.
i never found the trophy bird. i bought my beretta390 semi- 3 inch mag with a 28 inch barrel. i put a maddmax .660 choke on it. i bought some primos turkey targets and started at 30 yards with winchester hi velocity #4's 1 3/4 oz. shot. i got all the way out to 50 yards, which was my last shot and put 15 pellets in the head and spinal cord. that made me a believer. i ended my season with a 18 lb. tom with a 7 inch beard shot at 49 paces. and that is the honest truth. i have found myself a very potent turkey setup. i hope everyone else is as fortunate.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-12-2002, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

..Good post,Turkey HUNTER,makes since to me......

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 01-12-2002, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

2 oz. of #4's work for me. Not much field data except my first two birds last spring.
First one, good head shot, bird fell over and never quivered. Second one, blew the shot and quit swinging as he was walking out. Missed the head but broke the left wing and leg (fortunately one of each so he couldn't get away.)

IMO inside 40 yards, a good hit should do the job with either size shot. Berreta, 49 yards? Come on, Man. I believe you, just question the judgement.

Romans 8:28
Old 01-12-2002, 03:14 PM

My gun likes 3&quot; mag #4 shot. Fed. premium turkey loads 2 oz of shot.
Old 01-12-2002, 04:34 PM

BT, My first couple of birds were taken with Duplex 4x6 shot out of my old Ihtica 2 3/4&quot; pump gun with a full choke. The first gobbler was taken at about 25 yards and was dead before he hit the ground. The second took awhile to expire.
My new Rem 870 SPT gun with an Xtra-full rem choke likes #6's pretty well, and dropped a tom @ 35 yards last spring. I am planning on getting an aftermarket choke soon, and will hit the patterning board. I plan on using the shell (4,5,6,4x6) whichever patterns best. I will be very confident with my selection.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:58 PM

powduck, i'm just a bad judge of distance when sitting on the ground with no decoy out overlooking a open field. not that i was wanting to shoot at 49 paces but it happened and i was thankful that i had a gun that could do the job.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

4's, 5's, 4x6's...Whatever I find in my pocket. I've patterned them all through my Ithica 37 and have confidence in all of 'em out to 40 yards. She sure is a sweet New York girl!
Old 01-13-2002, 07:02 PM

I shoot what Natty Bumpo shoots. #4 works for me! When Crow hunting, the 3in #4 mags take them down everytime. 3in #6 or 2.75in #4's are not consistent.

Quick Reply: Do you agree or disagree ? Shotpatterns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.