Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Most gobbles you ever heard??? >

Most gobbles you ever heard???

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Most gobbles you ever heard???

Old 01-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Most gobbles you ever heard???

Most gobblers would have been at least 12 toms on the roost. Hard to say exacly how many as we never saw any of them that morning. A couple of days later there were 15 in the field we were sitting on, all in full strut for two jennys. Most from one bird would be over two hundred, well over. I stopped counting around 125 and it wasn't even shooting light yet. He gobbled on the roost for another 45 minutes. That is one of my favorite parts of the game. Sneaking in before light and letting a mature tom wake up and tell the world how handsome he is. Only 3 1/2 months to go.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:40 PM

I've had a few birds gobble around a 100 times...all public land Osceola .. one was on the roost and he gobbled constantly every breath and he wouldn't fly down and come to my calls. He stayed up there gobblin till a hen showed up and they left.
Another one gobbled every breath and he did fly down and came to the plate.
The best Osceola I ever got I worked him one morning from daylight till around 10:30am and he gobbled constantly at every call I made..he would hang up just out of sight and I would move on him and he would hang up again. Finally I did catch sight of him sneaking across a cypress head just out of range..but he caught sight of me too. I killed him two days later.
I set out some decoys in a dried up cypress head that had grown up with green grass and set up inside a brunt out tree top that had fallen to the ground. He gobbled one time about 100yds. behind me and a few minutes later I glanced to myleft and here he came sneakin in..his eyeballs big as pingpong balls staring at the hen decoysas he high stepped it down to wards them..
Old 01-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recall hunting a bird for almost a week that would gobble more times than I had enough patience to count!He would hit the ground and literrally run to a strutting area next to a group of pines that a bunch of hens were roosting in!He would run stop gobble,run stop gobble,until he finally would get there!I finally set-up in his strutting area and killed him!Longbeard dont know about your stretch of the woods but I'm finding that areas that seem to get quite a bit of pressure,some birds gobble more in the evening than morning!Its been goin on here for a few years now!!
Old 01-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear birds gobble in the evening once in a while but I have also had birds around me in the evening that never made a peep...
Old 01-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

In my "early years" of turk hunting, I got close to a bird on the roost in Franklin Co, VA. I had a bird gobble ~every 8 seconds (timed), and when he slowed down, I'd throw him a purr or yelp, and crank him up again, double and triple gobblin' - I've never heard so much gobbling from one bird. He'd strut back and forth on the limb, just gobblin' his brains out. After 8am, long after the sun was up, he flew off the limb and down the mountain, and I never heard a squeak from him again - Iwas sure he had worn out his vocal cords. I don't call to birds anymore until they are on the ground...
-fsh