Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870 >

Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870

Old 01-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: Garminator

Hey Rebel, I also have an old Rem 870 & I was thinking of doin some Turkey huntin in the near future..It's pretty stock, so what mods do you think i'll need to do to it besides a 28 in barrel?

Garminator, your Rem 870 will do fine! The 28" barrel suggestion was for Hunter 1089, cause he asked which was the bestone for all game!
For strictly Turkey, I like 22". I likea 28"barrel for, Quail and Snipe. For Doves late in the season, I like a 30". For Ducks, I like the 30" also.Different strokes for different folks!
Thanks alot Rebel....I completely forgot about this post & started a new thread on this topic..[&o] So besides the 22" barrel what choke & loads would you use? by the way, would you happen to know what the stock barrel is on them 870's? Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:33 PM

Well,I'll have to go against the grain here.If you can call a bird in less than 60yds he's yours!Most Tom's hang up 75 to 100yds,so I feel if he's less than that.He's commited,and you've won the game.I hunt HIGHLY pressured public land where I can not be assured if I let a tom walk @50yds,that I can get anotherchance at him another day.I need a gun that can shoot 50-60yds,and my Super Mag has never let me down.
Not to offend, but if most toms hang up at 75 to 100 yds, then there is a setup problem.

I'd suggest setting up so that the turkey cannot see you until he is within gun range. Your percentages will go way up.

Hal
Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 PM

wouldn't trade my mossberg 835 for anything. this past spring i ambushed a really nice gobbler. was able to get 30 yards of him. when i popped up to shoot him he took off running and i took too quick of a shot and missed. then like a moron i didnt slide the action far back enough to discharge the empty and it got stuck. pulled it out with my fingers and reloaded. by this time the bird was a long way out there and i was ticked off. took aim on a desperation shot cause i was mad at myself and dropped him. no joke, i stepped it off at 70 even. i guess that one BB just hit the right spot.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hawglips

Well,I'll have to go against the grain here.If you can call a bird in less than 60yds he's yours!Most Tom's hang up 75 to 100yds,so I feel if he's less than that.He's commited,and you've won the game.I hunt HIGHLY pressured public land where I can not be assured if I let a tom walk @50yds,that I can get anotherchance at him another day.I need a gun that can shoot 50-60yds,and my Super Mag has never let me down.
Not to offend, but if most toms hang up at 75 to 100 yds, then there is a setup problem.

I'd suggest setting up so that the turkey cannot see you until he is within gun range. Your percentages will go way up.

Hal
Yes you're right.That's what I was saying,most toms hang up 75-100yds.It's a hunting pressure problem,combined with a set up problem.Like I said if he's closer than 60 you win.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ranchand99

Is a 28" that much heavier to hold up than a 24"?Somewhat,but there is only a 4 ounce difference(7lb 4oz vs 7lb8oz lbs)Unless you are weak it won't matter.
I guess I am weak then. Holding up my 24'' guns with a turkey choke, is a lot less stressfull than holding up my 28'' guns with a turkey choke.

I admit I am not in the shape I was five years ago when I played football and lifted weights six days a week, but I wouldn't consider myself a weaklin'.

A lot of it also depends on the gun. My 11-87 with a 28'' barrel and turkey choke, loaded with 3'' turkey loads is a lot easier to hold up than my BPS with a 28'' barrel and a turkey choke, with two 3.5'' turkey loads.

My 835 was a lot heavier than both my BPS and 11-87, but it was easier to hold up due to the shorter barrel making it less "end heavy".
Old 01-26-2006, 09:35 PM

Oh yeah. The talk about hunting on public land. Until last season I've hunted at a club. Last year was my first time turkey hunting almost soley on public land. It is a lot harder to hunt and the birds are pressured a lot more. But the only bird I killed last year was on public land (his pic is on the "pics of turkeys from last year" post) or whatever the title is.

My point is that this turkey was on some heavily hunted public land and I called him within 30yds. If you read my post, I said that I called in the hen and he followed her. Sometimes thats what you have to do.

I know turkey hunting on public land is harder, but its not impossible to call them in close, even if it means callin' in his hens in hopes that he will follow. Some people make it sound impossible like you MUST shoot a public land bird at 60yds if you want him, but its not always like that.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

You're right,you don't have to shoot at 60yds,but it is nice to know you can.I have shot them @ 20yds before on public land,yes it is possible,but if one is within range I'm not going to waste what could be my only chance.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Spike

I have an 870 Wingmaster with 28' that i use for anything with wings plus rabbits squirrels and the occasional woodchuck in my dads garden. i love that gun and the only thing i would change about it is it can only take 2 3/4
Old 02-07-2006, 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: ranchand99

ORIGINAL: hawglips

Hal
Yes you're right.That's what I was saying,most toms hang up 75-100yds.It's a hunting pressure problem,combined with a set up problem.Like I said if he's closer than 60 you win.
What I'm saying is that it is rare for a tom to hang up up 75 -100 yds from my set-up. If that is happening to you, then I'd do two things:

1) ditch the dekes
2) set-up so that the tom has to come looking for you, and as soon as he can see you, he is in range, i.e., 40 yds or less.

Hal
Old 02-07-2006, 06:39 PM

Boy, I can't imagine how many widows I could have made by shootinggobblers at 60 yards! The worst feeling in the world of hunting is to injure game and fail a recovery. 50 yards is pushing it. Not saying it can't be done, but the chance of wounding and a failed recovery are much higher at 50+ yards. I also hunt public land and have never even shot at a bird at 50 yards. If youwant to win the game, see if you can blow his head off, not stick a BB in his eye.
WM

Quick Reply: Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.