HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 10:07 AM
hawglips

Default RE: Mossberg 500 vs. Remington 870

ORIGINAL: ranchand99

ORIGINAL: hawglips

Well,I'll have to go against the grain here.If you can call a bird in less than 60yds he's yours!Most Tom's hang up 75 to 100yds,so I feel if he's less than that.He's commited,and you've won the game.I hunt HIGHLY pressured public land where I can not be assured if I let a tom walk @50yds,that I can get anotherchance at him another day.I need a gun that can shoot 50-60yds,and my Super Mag has never let me down.
Not to offend, but if most toms hang up at 75 to 100 yds, then there is a setup problem.

I'd suggest setting up so that the turkey cannot see you until he is within gun range. Your percentages will go way up.

Hal
Yes you're right.That's what I was saying,most toms hang up 75-100yds.It's a hunting pressure problem,combined with a set up problem.Like I said if he's closer than 60 you win.
What I'm saying is that it is rare for a tom to hang up up 75 -100 yds from my set-up. If that is happening to you, then I'd do two things:

1) ditch the dekes
2) set-up so that the tom has to come looking for you, and as soon as he can see you, he is in range, i.e., 40 yds or less.

Hal