Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 starting to raise turkeys >

starting to raise turkeys

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

starting to raise turkeys

Old 11-17-2005, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default starting to raise turkeys

I have no wild turkeys around where I live. I want to get some started. How would I go about doing something like starting raiseing turkeys. How much would it cost? There is no wild turkeys at all. I would like to see wild turkeys running around.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: starting to raise turkeys

I believe you would have to discuss that with your state Fish and Game Dept. You can't just start releasing birds .
Old 11-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: halcon

I believe you would have to discuss that with your state Fish and Game Dept. You can't just start releasing birds .

Good Advice!
Old 11-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

A word of caution....pen raised turkeys have a poor survival rate.(even chicks hatched from eggs laid by wild hens)

Your best bet is to plant native forage and manage the land for turkeys, check with your county's extension office for what'll work best in your area.

Another thing to know. Predators (feral dogs or cats, coyotes, etc.) in the area could be limiting the movement of turkeys into your area. That problem may have to be solved before any turkey can be introduced.

Contact the National Wild Turkey Federation (1-800-the-nwtf) for a chapter in your area. If your area's big enough and accessible to hunters, NWYF volunteers may be able to help get turkeysstarted in your area.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

I raise turkeys but they cannot be released into the wild. I agree the best bet is to contact NWTF or your local fish and game dept. They game wardens wont like you releasing them into the wild. But if you have a few turkeys that you can keep penned up you can learn alot from them. Not only that but if there are any birds close to your area, the sounds of your penned turkeys will bring the others closer to you. Just my thoughts Arrowmaster