Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Turkeys starting to move >

Turkeys starting to move

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkeys starting to move

Old 01-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Turkeys starting to move

I noticed in the last week the turkeys have been moving alot more than usual.I heard some hens out on an Island in the swamp last Sunday.Sounded like they were fighting.I'm thinking they are establishing pecking orders.

Today I saw a group of 8 longbeards together.One guy I know swears he saw a Tom strutting last week,when temps were near 80 here.I'd have to see it to believe it,but I have seen strutting in early Feb. before around here,but gobbling doesn't get good until March.Anyone else noticing increased turkey activity?
Old 01-15-2006, 07:42 PM

Default RE: Turkeys starting to move

I concur. The flocks around here are moving down from the oak forests and canyons, and are starting to call. I was out tractoring the other day, and when I shut the engine off, I heard several Toms throating out their opinion. Guess I will have to start scouting, and switching my field points on my arrows to my broadheads.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyote dont know what part of the state your in bud...but we're gettin hammered up here with nasty weather![&:]But thats ok as there is a noticable difference on the ground as it is getting greener!Our almond trees should be busting out this time next month,but most everything is still locked up as ole man winter holds on...
Old 01-17-2006, 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Bobgobble2

Coyote dont know what part of the state your in bud...but we're gettin hammered up here with nasty weather![&:]But thats ok as there is a noticable difference on the ground as it is getting greener!Our almond trees should be busting out this time next month,but most everything is still locked up as ole man winter holds on...
Central California my friend. We had some nasty weather on the first of January, which flooded 3 acres of barley. Its a slow process to pump it away, but it brings the critters around for some enjoment and varminting. Just hope your almonds don't get hit with wind, or they will blow their catkins all over the place. Usually down here, we are having 70 degrees on and off, and the turks tend to come out for awhile, then the wind and cold settles in again and they head for the oak forests.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

the turks around here are still in winter flocks hanging around ranchers winter cattle feeding areas