Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How to clean and prepare a turkey >

How to clean and prepare a turkey

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How to clean and prepare a turkey

Old 11-09-2005, 10:43 AM

Default How to clean and prepare a turkey

OK, I love to hunt, but I'm sorry to say that I don't know how to field clean or prepare a turkey for the table. Can anyone one of my fellow hunters help me out here?

As always, any advice is much appreciated, as I mostly hunt alone.

-WW
Old 11-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How to clean and prepare a turkey

This is my approach - after scalding to remove the feathers, cut a horizontal slot about 4" between the legs and cut off the neck as close to the breast as you can. Just put your hand in and tug everything out. Save the heart, liver, and gizzard for homemade gravy. Mostly everything should pop right out, the rest can be rinsed in the sink - a garbage disposal ishelpful. Roast the bird much as you would a store bought bird, but baste often - wild turkeys are much leaner than pen raised. Any gravy recipe will work, I usually save the juices from cooking, add flour and the giblets, then chow down. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:56 PM

Mike, thanks much. That scalding to remove the feathers seems to be a common theme with most birds :] I'll try your approach. I appreciate the advice - it saves me from having to buy a game skinning and prep book!

-WW
Old 11-09-2005, 02:21 PM

If you want to skip the feathers and gutting just cut out the breast, and legs if wanted. Of course you won't have the skin on, but if you cook in a roasting bag the meat will still be juicy.

First, lay the bird on it's back. Next, make a cut straight down the center of the breast just underneath the skin. Pull the skin off to each side of the breast as far as you can. Use your knife andmake acut on both sides of the breast bone(center line of the breast). Be sure to cut through to the bottom of the breast plate. Finally, cut along the breast plate and ribs to remove the breast from the carcass. Voila! You have finished with the bird before your neighbor has plucked a third of his, and without the mess.
First, you have to have the bird, so get out there and get'em!!
Old 11-09-2005, 03:02 PM

That sounds good to me :] Thanks, Criggster - I will work on getting one first!

-WW
Old 11-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Criggster

If you want to skip the feathers and gutting just cut out the breast, and legs if wanted. Of course you won't have the skin on, but if you cook in a roasting bag the meat will still be juicy.

First, lay the bird on it's back. Next, make a cut straight down the center of the breast just underneath the skin. Pull the skin off to each side of the breast as far as you can. Use your knife andmake acut on both sides of the breast bone(center line of the breast). Be sure to cut through to the bottom of the breast plate. Finally, cut along the breast plate and ribs to remove the breast from the carcass. Voila! You have finished with the bird before your neighbor has plucked a third of his, and without the mess.
First, you have to have the bird, so get out there and get'em!!
Yep, that's a good way too. Pretty much how I take care of geese, never done it with turkeys, my favorite part is the legs.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:12 PM

Good question.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:45 PM

I'm hungry now.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

The quickest and easiest way I do it is to Take 2 pieces of a small rope and attach the ropes to my barn about 1 to 2 feet a part. Then I hang the turkey feet so the bird is upside down. I then begin plucking the turkeys feathers around the breast. Once this is done I cut the skin from the breast and cut the breast out. Its takes about 10 minutes to do this. The legs are the same way. Pluck the feathers out and cut the skin off, then cut off the drumsticks. But first remember to cut the tail fan off and the beard before you pluck any feathers. Just my thoughts Arrowmaster