Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Best Trail Cams for Public Land >

Best Trail Cams for Public Land

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Best Trail Cams for Public Land

Old 05-29-2018, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Trail Cams for Public Land

It's an odd question, but I suppose the main point is that if putting a trail cam with a lock out on public land, you don't want to have a ton of money at risk. My uncle and I found a game "superhighway" deep in some public land (over 14 miles driving, then 1 mile over rough terrain or 2.5 miles down a walk-only logging trail, then 300 yards off of it). Problem is, don't want to risk losing a cam at great cost.

We found a nice fallen log, and think we'd stand a better chance putting the cam on the ground right beneath it (facing up), perhaps with some obstruction in front of it that doesn't get in the way of the lens and sensor/focus, and of course a lock to strap it to the log. Unlikely someone will be roaming with chain-cutters in such a remote part of the woods, but still don't want to take chances losing a great cam.

With that said, is there a relatively cheap cam that you nonetheless find quite satisfactory? Looking for something that might fit the bill and could be left out for up to a month.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

the BEST advice I can tell you on public land is expect things to go missing, lock's don't stop many it seems here in PA, nor do the metak bear boxes
the BEST boxes I have seen are from cuddlyback, as there the ONLY boxes I seen that also protect the LOCK, everyone elses leave the locks exposed and well, 9 dollar bolt cutters at Harbor freight will cut the locks off!

NOW if yoiu do NOT wish to spend the $$ for cuddyback camera's and boxes and are willing to gamble

I have 5 Tasco, $25.00 Cheapo camera's from wally world, and ALL 5 have been excellent camera's for what they are
super fast wake up time, almost ZERO pic'
s without critter that tripped it , and that goes from bears to butterflys, I am HIGHLY impressed with these cheap cam's
they have a slightly better model of more megapixl's that MIGHT be better, but I have NOT tried them, they look exactly alike just one has lesser camera in them, which are the 25 dollar cam's I have
the down side is, the flash is NOT the best, some pic';s will be blurry(about 15 % for me or less, and mostly on faster moving animals, foxes and such)
the lens, seems to hold water , after or during a rain water drops seem to stay on cam and cause out of focus pic's at times, but I think a simple added on cover would resolve this, a like a baseball cap deal, glue on a slight longer cover over top and would fix this I am sure, just been too lazy to do so YET! LOL
next is they do NOT have a LOW battery meter, which sucks, but I am getting an easy 8,000+ pic's out of a set of batterys and many have been out for 6+ months now and still running fine in ALL temps and weather
but if leaving in remote area, I would just take a small meter with me before resetting camera so you know, not hard, but added time, over ease!

and last, IMO the camera mounting strap SUCKS< you have to un do it and re do it every time you want to move the camera, a simple quick connect clip would make this such a easier process, again NOT a big deal, but one I will mention
other wise VERY impressed again with these cheap cam's and IF one gets stolen, it will still SUCK< but won't sting the wallet as much
so they get MY vote
I tried to load a few pic's for you but the new what ever on this site won't let me and I am NOT the smartest computer person/not tech savvy at all i guess, so sorry?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear serviceable $25 cams exist at Wally World---for some things it's the best place (field-dressing equipment, shotgun shells for skeet and dove, soft point rifle ammo). I think that'll give me just what I need. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2018, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

your welcome, I actually started a tread on these cams
for the 13 bucks more, one of the tacso higher megapixel camera's might be worth a try too, as they seem identical to the 25 dollar one, but might get you clearer pic's
but I am very happy with these 25 dollar one's
and I have a LOT of trail cam experience, , been using them since the 90's
higher ends one's do take clearer pic's but IMO< these work good enough to get your interest in cams up and lots of cool pic's along the way
Old 05-30-2018, 10:59 AM
Spike

Default Cheap Cameras

Originally Posted by mrbb
the BEST advice I can tell you on public land is expect things to go missing, lock's don't stop many it seems here in PA, nor do the metak bear boxes
the BEST boxes I have seen are from cuddlyback, as there the ONLY boxes I seen that also protect the LOCK, everyone elses leave the locks exposed and well, 9 dollar bolt cutters at Harbor freight will cut the locks off!

NOW if yoiu do NOT wish to spend the $$ for cuddyback camera's and boxes and are willing to gamble

I have 5 Tasco, $25.00 Cheapo camera's from wally world, and ALL 5 have been excellent camera's for what they are
super fast wake up time, almost ZERO pic'
s without critter that tripped it , and that goes from bears to butterflys, I am HIGHLY impressed with these cheap cam's
they have a slightly better model of more megapixl's that MIGHT be better, but I have NOT tried them, they look exactly alike just one has lesser camera in them, which are the 25 dollar cam's I have
the down side is, the flash is NOT the best, some pic';s will be blurry(about 15 % for me or less, and mostly on faster moving animals, foxes and such)
the lens, seems to hold water , after or during a rain water drops seem to stay on cam and cause out of focus pic's at times, but I think a simple added on cover would resolve this, a like a baseball cap deal, glue on a slight longer cover over top and would fix this I am sure, just been too lazy to do so YET! LOL
next is they do NOT have a LOW battery meter, which sucks, but I am getting an easy 8,000+ pic's out of a set of batterys and many have been out for 6+ months now and still running fine in ALL temps and weather
but if leaving in remote area, I would just take a small meter with me before resetting camera so you know, not hard, but added time, over ease!

and last, IMO the camera mounting strap SUCKS< you have to un do it and re do it every time you want to move the camera, a simple quick connect clip would make this such a easier process, again NOT a big deal, but one I will mention
other wise VERY impressed again with these cheap cam's and IF one gets stolen, it will still SUCK< but won't sting the wallet as much
so they get MY vote
I tried to load a few pic's for you but the new what ever on this site won't let me and I am NOT the smartest computer person/not tech savvy at all i guess, so sorry?
I agree with you on the cheap cameras. I lean more to the side of buying a cheaper camera that will work and get the job done. I want to see how many points an animal has and how often it travels through an area. I am not looking to get my capture placed in the National Geographic. I also try to find a spot on that animal "freeway" that is maybe a little more secluded or easy to hide a camera in but still get the same shots.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

camlock box bolted to the tree with a cable lock thru it
Old 06-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
camlock box bolted to the tree with a cable lock thru it
in PA and many other states, its ILLEGAL to use a bolt into a tree on public land, as you legally cannot screw any into a tree!
so heads up on this
not bashing, just saying so no one gets into trouble