HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Trail Cams for Public Land
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 08:00 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

the BEST advice I can tell you on public land is expect things to go missing, lock's don't stop many it seems here in PA, nor do the metak bear boxes
the BEST boxes I have seen are from cuddlyback, as there the ONLY boxes I seen that also protect the LOCK, everyone elses leave the locks exposed and well, 9 dollar bolt cutters at Harbor freight will cut the locks off!

NOW if yoiu do NOT wish to spend the $$ for cuddyback camera's and boxes and are willing to gamble

I have 5 Tasco, $25.00 Cheapo camera's from wally world, and ALL 5 have been excellent camera's for what they are
super fast wake up time, almost ZERO pic'
s without critter that tripped it , and that goes from bears to butterflys, I am HIGHLY impressed with these cheap cam's
they have a slightly better model of more megapixl's that MIGHT be better, but I have NOT tried them, they look exactly alike just one has lesser camera in them, which are the 25 dollar cam's I have
the down side is, the flash is NOT the best, some pic';s will be blurry(about 15 % for me or less, and mostly on faster moving animals, foxes and such)
the lens, seems to hold water , after or during a rain water drops seem to stay on cam and cause out of focus pic's at times, but I think a simple added on cover would resolve this, a like a baseball cap deal, glue on a slight longer cover over top and would fix this I am sure, just been too lazy to do so YET! LOL
next is they do NOT have a LOW battery meter, which sucks, but I am getting an easy 8,000+ pic's out of a set of batterys and many have been out for 6+ months now and still running fine in ALL temps and weather
but if leaving in remote area, I would just take a small meter with me before resetting camera so you know, not hard, but added time, over ease!

and last, IMO the camera mounting strap SUCKS< you have to un do it and re do it every time you want to move the camera, a simple quick connect clip would make this such a easier process, again NOT a big deal, but one I will mention
other wise VERY impressed again with these cheap cam's and IF one gets stolen, it will still SUCK< but won't sting the wallet as much
so they get MY vote
I tried to load a few pic's for you but the new what ever on this site won't let me and I am NOT the smartest computer person/not tech savvy at all i guess, so sorry?