Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Trail Camera for security purposes >

Trail Camera for security purposes

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail Camera for security purposes

Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Spike

Default Trail Camera for security purposes

Hi guys. sorry to inform you I do not hunt much but have been looking at a few trail cameras and wanted some more professinal opinions before I bother spending money on one. My problem is a gated yard I rent that every few weeks keeps getting broken into. So far im out over $1000 that has been stolen and am tired of this stuff. This location is not close to an electric line so I cant use a traditional camera. A few friends who hunt have recomended a trail camera since they are battery operated and are meant for taking night pictures which is when these theives are breaking in.I have plenty of places to hide the camera so I am not as concerned with them seeing it and stealing or breaking it. Because of this I have also been looking at mostly the "no-flash" or "black-flash" cameras because a flash is going to be very obvious to a thief as you might imagine. Some of the cameras that have caught my eye are the moultrie m-80 black (approx $180) and the Spypoint bf-7 (approx $200). My main concern is ability to conceal in a small area and detection distance and quality of pictures at night. Anybody use either of these two cameras or have opinions on them?. If not are there any other cameras that might be better suited for my needs? Im looking to stay in the $150-$250 price range if possible.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me on this.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onlyaZ
Hi guys. sorry to inform you I do not hunt much but have been looking at a few trail cameras and wanted some more professinal opinions before I bother spending money on one. My problem is a gated yard I rent that every few weeks keeps getting broken into. So far im out over $1000 that has been stolen and am tired of this stuff. This location is not close to an electric line so I cant use a traditional camera. A few friends who hunt have recomended a trail camera since they are battery operated and are meant for taking night pictures which is when these theives are breaking in.I have plenty of places to hide the camera so I am not as concerned with them seeing it and stealing or breaking it. Because of this I have also been looking at mostly the "no-flash" or "black-flash" cameras because a flash is going to be very obvious to a thief as you might imagine. Some of the cameras that have caught my eye are the moultrie m-80 black (approx $180) and the Spypoint bf-7 (approx $200). My main concern is ability to conceal in a small area and detection distance and quality of pictures at night. Anybody use either of these two cameras or have opinions on them?. If not are there any other cameras that might be better suited for my needs? Im looking to stay in the $150-$250 price range if possible.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me on this.
problem is hiding them where they don't see them...Moultrie takes excellent night photos.

this is a little higher than your price range but it has a backup you can hide 80yds away...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SpyPoint-8MP...item4d0afd0ddd
Old 05-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Spike

WilCam47 is correct the biggest thing will be concealing the camera. The Covert Red40 really lights the night well also, but is a red flash. However I have noticed that unless you are looking directly at the camera you don't see it, so in a well concealed set you probably would be ok. Also the Covert Black 60 does a good job and beyond 18 inches I can't tell if the "flash" fires or not. Battery life is outstanding on both of these cameras, I get 20,000+ pics on a set of batteries.

The Moultrie does have a good flash as well and takes good quality pics.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would take a look at the Bushnell Black Flash. The trigger speed it right around a .6 of a second so it should pick up anyone walking. It is a dark brown so it won't be detected or you can easily put camo tape around it. You can pick them up new on ebay for $190 from good sellers. The Covert is a good camera as well but run a lot of bushnells so I am bushnell fan.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Spike

im not to cocerned with concealment. There are a lot of vehicles in this yard I could hide it in and the other side has a ton of trees. At night hidden down low 10 ft back on a tree I dont think they would even see it especiallly considering the small size like the m80 is that i viewed the other day. A flash at all im concerned would make it visible though. I was under the impression that the black flash was completley undetectable, is it not? when I get a chance to get back on my labtop tomorrow I will check out the other cameras you guys have suggested.thanks
Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The black flash cameras are completely black so they won't be seen. I was referring to the camera box itself. If the crooks are standing still for 2 seconds than almost any black flash will do. If they will be walking I would be sure to pick one with a trigger speed under a second.