Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Some of my builds >

Some of my builds

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Some of my builds

Old 02-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pope94/IA
About how much money would you have in a good one? the s600 lets say...
Andrew, I built an S600. It is considered by many to be the best homebrew out there. It is also the most difficult to "hack" or modify. The greatest expense in a homebrew is usually the camera. Most of the models used are discontinued so you have to find them on ebay, craigslist, or in pawn shops. Depending on what you pay for the actual camera, you can usually build one for less than $150.00. If you decide to do an S600, I recommend that you send it to someone who has done an S600 for the hack. After that part is done the rest of it is fairly easy. If you want to start out with something a little easier, I would suggest a Sony P41. They take excellent pics and if you use the right control board, they can be hacked without any soldering.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
Andrew, I built an S600. It is considered by many to be the best homebrew out there. It is also the most difficult to "hack" or modify. The greatest expense in a homebrew is usually the camera. Most of the models used are discontinued so you have to find them on ebay, craigslist, or in pawn shops. Depending on what you pay for the actual camera, you can usually build one for less than $150.00. If you decide to do an S600, I recommend that you send it to someone who has done an S600 for the hack. After that part is done the rest of it is fairly easy. If you want to start out with something a little easier, I would suggest a Sony P41. They take excellent pics and if you use the right control board, they can be hacked without any soldering.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Pastor Jim is correct. The prices of cameras have doubled the past couple of years cause more people are starting to do it. Ebay is the best place to find the cameras but its all about supply/demand and I've seen some cameras go for about as much as they were new . P41's are fast, easy to hack, and take great pics but the prices have skyrocketed.

I bought a bunch for less than $30 and at one point they started going for $125 so I sold them and took that money and built a few S600's for pretty much free.

A P32 is another good option. Same hack as the P41, takes good pics, and is fast. Should be able to get them For around $60.

Heres a list of the items you need and a rough estimate on price.

Camera = $60
Board = $40 or $60 for a snapshot which is what I use.
Glass = $5
Case = $15
Fresnal = $5
Liquid Nails = $3 (unless you buy a case already camoed)
Camera Foam = $4
python lock = $15
batteries = $10 for sanyo eneloops

Theres $157 not counting shipping. You will need a soldering iron, batteries, battery holders (if you want to run externals for longer run time), pipe-thru (what your cable goes through to lock it to a tree. I use a 2512 arrow shaft), and paint to camo it. Also servos and jacks. I would say it would be around $180 to build one now unless you can get a good deal on a camera.

I always order extras of everything when I order.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is there a step by step visual you can post? i know I talked to PJ about building my own a while ago, but I cant seem to find any of the info from then. and where do you order all the parts from?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

After reading about all these and how much fun it is to build your own I wanna get into the action too. haha. I'll be looking forward to a step by step if one of you guys decides to make one!!

Also, Nate great info you posted with the prices!!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, as of right now, I am the highest bidder at $37 on a Sony P41. About 20 minutes left, and 14 bids. This is the first time I have ever bid on anything on ebay.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
Is there a step by step visual you can post? i know I talked to PJ about building my own a while ago, but I cant seem to find any of the info from then. and where do you order all the parts from?
Darren, here you go. Hope this helps.

http://www.snapshotsniper.com/ModP41.pdf

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Well, as of right now, I am the highest bidder at $37 on a Sony P41. About 20 minutes left, and 14 bids. This is the first time I have ever bid on anything on ebay.
Did you end up getting it? Parts cameras usually go for around that price.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, didnt get it. I stopped at $43. Just wasnt 100% sure I was ready to jump in yet, financially. I have a few things I want to get for hunting season next year first. So what is a good price for the P41, so I know what to look for.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks PJ, I put it in my favorites this time, so I wont lose it. I'm not sure who it was, but when I was thinking about doing this before, someone had posted a step by step guide, on how to build the case and all that too, anyone remember who it was?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Nope, didnt get it. I stopped at $43. Just wasnt 100% sure I was ready to jump in yet, financially. I have a few things I want to get for hunting season next year first. So what is a good price for the P41, so I know what to look for.

I just did a search on ebay for P41 auctions that ended and it looks to be between $40-$60 is what they are going for with a couple lower and higher. The prices have dropped since I got mine I guess since a lot of people switched to the S600s. The S600s look to be around $75 with some going as high as $125

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.