Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Bushnell Bone Collector problems? or batteries? >

Bushnell Bone Collector problems? or batteries?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Bushnell Bone Collector problems? or batteries?

Old 12-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bushnell Bone Collector problems? or batteries?

I have a Bushnell Bone Collector camera - bought it back in Oct - its worked fine since I started using it...

I have two 8G memory cards that I just swap out of it, I've had it up since early November - I took the card out today, knew it said it had 600 pictures ( holy shiesta!) - got it home, and it looks like it's rapid fire taking pictures like every half hour just to take a picture. The first 100 or so are "movement pictures" - aka me, deer, coyotes, and other... the rest are absolutely nothing.

I know they advertise 1YR or a couple thousand picture battery life - is something wrong with the camera? or are the batteries just going dead?!?! I have standard RAYOVAK AA's, all eight of them in it.

Is it the batteries, or the camera?

Last edited by TSR6; 12-11-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: title
Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hate to tell you this but it's probably the camera. Mine did the same thing when I first got it and I sent it back. So far the replacement camera has never done that. There are two things you might try. First, turn the sensitivity control to normal or low, it doesn't have to be on high in the colder temps. Second, you might go to their website where there is a download to fix some of the problems with their earlier cams. Hope this helps.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 12-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

take it back where you bought it and get a new one...keep trying till you get one that works. There has been a lot of problems with these cameras.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Spike

I agree that it is probably the camera. I also have a 2010 Bushnell trophy cam but it is not the bone collector edition. I got mine in June of this year and it worked fine for about 3-4 months and then it started doing the same thing you described except mine was taking pictures every minute or two. I called Bushnell about it and they told me to send it in to be repaired or replaced. The good thing is is that it is still under warranty so if you do have to sent it off like i did the only thing you have to pay for is to have it shipped to them (in my case it was around 8 dollars) and you have to include a 10 dollar check or money order to have them return it to you. Also i cant comment on how long it takes to be returned to you because i just sent mine off today. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

damn, I just swapped out the memory card & ran. I'm guessing I'll have a full card in the morning again....

Think the software update will do anything? or should I just call Bushnell?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

TSR6: I would try the software update. With luck it might solve the problem and save the expense of sending the camera in. You mentioned batteries. If these were low, especially the bottom four, and if your camera was set for video, you would not receive the full video length at night. Suppose your camera was set for 30 second video: day time would be fine, but night time requires the use of the LED's which takes a bit of power causing random length videos. I do not have the 2010 Bone Collector, but do have the 2009 Bushnell Trophy Trail Cameras (7 in total). This is what I noticed with them if the batteries got low or in cold weather. I am not using Lithium. These have been excellent cameras. Any questions that I emailed Bushnell, they gave me excellent customer service. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

I was using:

3-shot picture
10-sec delay
Max quality

Total I had probably shot 600 pictures before this "event" - normally I would average 50-100 pictures per each time I would swap the memory card out ( once a week). Mind you - at least 10-15 of these were me setting up the camera ( lock box, security cable & padlock take long enough to trip it a couple times on the 10sec delay)

Then all of a sudden I had 600 pictures over a ~2 week period ( i went on vacation ) so I got really excited... lol... Especially when the first 10-15 were me, then the next 40 or so were all deer & coyotes.... then all of a sudden I would have about 50 "dud or empty" pictures in between any sort of wildlife at all.

It did rain & snow, but it doesnt seem as if that tripped any of the picture. I wouldnt say its branches/wind, as when i use slide-show, I dont see a difference in any of the duds other than the varying light levels (most are night shots, but some are day shots too)

I would rather NOT send this back to Bushnell if I dont have to - it sucks that I'd have to pay for shipping for something that is their problem.

Is it a slim chance that it's actually the battery/software - or would you all agree its probably hardware? I'd like to use it at least through the new year - but if its going to take 600pics a pop, thats not worth my time...
Old 12-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

TSR6: If you had fog in the area, this may cover the lens. It will still detect movement but you will not be able to see what caused it. I have had this happen to mine. If your camera is close by, try setting it to video, maybe 30 second with a 10 or 15 second delay. In the video, it will clearly show streaks of rain or falling snow providing it is either raining or snowing. Video will show any movement of grass, leaves or branches that a picture will not show.
You could even set the camera up in the house where there is lots of family movement. Your pictures or videos may become over exposed due to the closeness of walls, windows etc.
Also, make sure to format your SD card in the camera. For cards I am able to use: SanDisk, Kodak, Verbatim and Adapta. Bushnell recommended SanDisk.
Adapta is a new card out in Canada, and I have had excellent pictures and videos with it. I use 2GB as some of my other cameras were limited to this size. All cards are formatted in my computer, and what ever one I use for my Bushnell is formatted in the camera.
With my 2009 model, I have found if the lower 4 batteries are reading a lower voltage, you will get random length videos at night, not the full length (30 second) that I have mine set for. I do not rely on the battery indicator bar as this will not give a true reading when cold. It may show low battery when actually your battery could be fully charged but just not putting out the full voltage when cold. I always carry a digital multimeter.
The top 4 batteries are wired in series. The bottom 4 batteries are wired in series. Now, the two sets are wired in parallel. This is why your camera is only receiving 6 volt in stead of 12 volt. In my 2009 model, for some reason it seems to require good voltage in the lower set of four batteries.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by littlearrow; 12-12-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

I honestly think it was just tripping some random pictures. I mean 600 pictures on a 8G card is huge over two weeks. Like I said, normally I swap out the card after about a week, but due to vacation it sat out there for about two weeks. 600 is no-where near double the # of pictures I am used to...

So like you said, if you get "random videos" at low voltage, do you think it would do the same for picture mode at low voltage? I just want to know if I should run out there ( 45min each way ) and swap out the batteries, or if I should just take the damn thing down and do a software update, or send it in...
Old 12-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

TSR6: I do not think you would get random pictures on low voltage. On the video setting, I was set at 30 second. Some of my videos during night time could be anything less than 30 second (7, 9 or whatever). Daytime worked okay because the LED's were not required, which draw some power.
I realize you have a distance to go for the camera, but if it were mine, the next time you go to check it, if it is still acting up, then I would bring it in. If you end up bringing it in, then maybe try the software update. If this doesn't correct the problem, I would then contact Bushnell. Very disappointing when things fail to work properly. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.