Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Depressed - Trail Cam STOLEN! >

Depressed - Trail Cam STOLEN!

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Depressed - Trail Cam STOLEN!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Unhappy Depressed - Trail Cam STOLEN!

Last Tuesday I stopped in front of my Scoutguard 550 trail cam to get a photo of my jake I'd shot. Yesterday I went to check my camera and it was gone - sawed or cut off the tree - cable lock, security box, and all! So if anyone on here came down to hunt in Allegany County, NY, and stole a trail camera off land you weren't suppose to be on, return it

It was a graduation gift from my mom last spring when I graduated from nursing school. Now it's in the hands of some down right dirty people. Apparently, from the landowner - 2 guys got kicked off there the other day hunting, they had no permission. So I'm fairly positive that's who took it.

Looks like I'll be keeping whatever next trail cam I get in our little piece of woods, and maybe on the state land right by camp when I'm working there during the summer. I'd liek to hide it back over com deer season on the property I hunt, but I'm afraid to and my mom is telling me it's not going back over there...Geesh I'm 27, I can make my decision,lol.

Any trail cam suggestions? Looking at the SG 560V..I see Primos has some out...The Reconyx Hyperfire looks nice but not sure if I want to spend $450..I see Stealth has a few new small ones out. I want something I can lock up of course...Also any other suggestions to use for locking/chaining the cam to a tree would be helpful? Apparently the Python locks aren't so good after all....

Just a bit heartbroken...my first trail cam ever and I became a "victim".

Last edited by turkeygirl2; 05-12-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Turkeygirl, sorry to hear of your experience, guessing most of us here have a similar tale or two to tell about stolen cams and stands, I've learned the hard way that no matter what you do, if they want it bad enough, they will take it, private land, public land, doesn't matter! As many others will tell you, there are a number of good reasonably priced cameras on the market to replace the one you has stolen, Moultrie makes some good one, Cudde and Stealth as well (those are the three I have experience with)
Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

locks only keep honest people honest.
i hear this story frequently, and i am probably next lol
keep your head up .
bet these guys will be back fer the brand new one.
lowlifes
Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really sorry to hear about your camera turkeygirl. Since the landowner kicked off tresspassers, maybe he got their names and you could contact the police and they could at least follow up on it. I really hope you get it back.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

Last edited by PastorJim08; 05-12-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

That happened to me this past fall too. My heart dropped when my camera wasn't where it was supposed to be.
I think most camera's get stolen cause the trespasser was caught on camera, so to prevent themselves from being caught, they take it.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LifexIsxHunting
That happened to me this past fall too. My heart dropped when my camera wasn't where it was supposed to be.
I think most camera's get stolen cause the trespasser was caught on camera, so to prevent themselves from being caught, they take it.

good point...so they need to put an external button to go back and erase the last pic so the poachers can just delete it and have 60 seconds to get away? with out the cam. its ingenious?
Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
good point...so they need to put an external button to go back and erase the last pic so the poachers can just delete it and have 60 seconds to get away? with out the cam. its ingenious?
I know right, Im just always coming up with these great predictions.jk, i know it was probly a no brainer.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

I am very sorry to hear about your cam being stolen. I know exactly how you feel because it happened to me this past year and I feel totally violated. I know that someone who knew they were trespassing and caught on camera destroyed it....ripped it right off the tree (it was cabled and lag bolted on). Broke the camera plastic case to bits to get it.

So, this is what I am doing this year. First of all I bought a Reconyx HC600...their newest and also spent an additional $50 on a steel hard case made just for this camera. I will not put the camera back where it was so easily visible..on the edge of the woods pointing out. But I am going to put a dummy camera (have an old Cuddeback that took a dump) out on the edge of the field with a different live camera elevated to about 15 feet and pointing down to capture whatever walks in front of the camera. I have already tested the scenario out with branches with leaves tucked in the cable lock and it camos the elevated camera very well. My property has a lot of oaks and maples so there are a lot of branches and leaves. I have had people out there in the woods just to get an idea of how it might work. I didn't tell them what I was doing. We were just in the area turkey hunting and they saw the dummy camera. Their focus was really more on that camera and it never occurred to them to look up. And even when I told them, they had a hard time finding it.

I hate the idea of having to basically dedicate a camera to catch the trespassers, but I love the idea of not only catching one, but one trying to destroy a camera, because this, unfortunately, is something the courts in our state take more seriously than trespassing. Even though trespassing steals my recreational opportunities and that is even more valuable to me than my trail camera!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

great idea, let us know how it works out!!
Old 05-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

That really sucks.