Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Questions for homebrewers >

Questions for homebrewers

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Questions for homebrewers

Old 05-24-2009, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Questions for homebrewers

Okay guys, I'm getting ready to take the big plunge. I have reached the point that all addicts eventually end up at. I am going to start pushing, I mean I am going to attempt to build my own camera. I won an S600 the other night on ebay so I'll be starting this build pretty soon. Now I'll be honest with you all, I'm not the worlds handiest guy but I've been studying the different websites on this topic and think I can do this. My question to all you homebrewers is; are there any differences in the boards, as far as one being better than the others, did you make your own case or did you buy an otter or pelican or something else? For those of you who actually built your cams, are there any pitfalls I should watch out for? If there is any other tidbits you'd like to share with me, I''ll listen because I'm sure I don't even know enough about this to know what questions to ask.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 05-24-2009, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions for homebrewers

ttt
Old 05-24-2009, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Soory sir, I can't help. I thought about it too. I will be watching your thread.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PastorJim08

Okay guys, I'm getting ready to take the big plunge. I have reached the point that all addicts eventually end up at. I am going to start pushing, I mean I am going to attempt to build my own camera. I won an S600 the other night on ebay so I'll be starting this build pretty soon. Now I'll be honest with you all, I'm not the worlds handiest guy but I've been studying the different websites on this topic and think I can do this. My question to all you homebrewers is; are there any differences in the boards, as far as one being better than the others, did you make your own case or did you buy an otter or pelican or something else? For those of you who actually built your cams, are there any pitfalls I should watch out for? If there is any other tidbits you'd like to share with me, I''ll listen because I'm sure I don't even know enough about this to know what questions to ask.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Jim,

Buy it in kit form as the holes in the case are drilled for you and comes with everything you will need for the build unless you want to upgrade a few parts. I built my first two Homebrews with SSS boards. No complaints with the performance. My first two cams were Sony p41 and hacked them myself. Now the S600 is a much harder hack from everything I read. Very small points to solder and you need a magnifying glass to do it. The S600's that I just bought are being sent to a professional for the hack as I don't want to screw it up and I am terrible at soldering.

I would buy a Pelican or Otter case probably in a kit form. As far as boards Ive never heard anything bad about any of them. The SSS has an LCD screen and a toggle switch to activate the board and runs on a 9v battery were as the XLP board has little dip switches to set the board and runs on 2 coin cell batteries.

The S600 doesn't have as fast of a trigger time as the p41 so you want to go with a wide angle setup for the fresnel lense to catch movemeny sooner so it can trigger the camera in time for the picture.

I'm going to build these S600 with AR glass over the flash instead of a flash enhancer. The S600 has such a great flash the enhancer is not needed and from all the pics I've seen takes better pics with AR glass.

Get rechargeble batteries to save money in the long run. You can build a camera with external batteries hooked to it for longer field life. Good luck and do alot of reading and ask questions.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jim your in more trouble than I thought!!
It might be time for us to do an intervention and get you into some type of rehab program and send you away for the next 6 ,7 months or so.Pike
Old 05-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Watching with interest
Old 05-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Well, pastor

The s600 is a great cam. My opinion, it is best utilized with a sss or yeti. Yeti fast hack is my goto cam. But if I were you, I would just do the 3 wire for your first. The 3 wire can be used with either board.

You can get a kit from yeti holes drilled everything, but I am not sure if the camera is on the top or the bottom. I prefer the cam on the top, if water ever got in, I would rather a 9 volt battery get ruined than a camera. With that said, I have never had water in a case. No pitfalls, just jump in, take your time on the hack. If you are having trouble, pm me, I can probably help.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to all for the great advice. I will keep you posted as to my progress. Don't get in a hurry though, the camera I bought off of ebay is in Canada and the invoice said not to expect delivery for 12-19 days. I'm hoping it will be quicker than that. I hope to have this project complete by the end of June. And just to be completely honest, since this is my first attempt, I am having someone else do the hack. As I have been told here and other places, the hack on the S600 is hard, especially for your first one. I'll keep you all posted.

And Pike, I think I'm way past the point of any intervention. My only hope now is the trailcam funny-farm, where I'm sure I'll eventually be seeing some who post here.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 05-25-2009, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PastorJim08

And Pike, I think I'm way past the point of any intervention. My only hope now is the trailcam funny-farm, where I'm sure I'll eventually be seeing some who post here.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Sir,
I left the trail cam funny farm about 4 years ago an have been able to mantain my addiction to a point.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jim the funny farm might be the best course of action for you at this point!! I will send you some coloring books and crayons!!
Good luck with the build!! If I tried to build one it would probably just open and close my garage door, but my 7 year old daughter could build a space shuttle out of kitchen appliances. Pike