Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Best 200 dollar camera? >

Best 200 dollar camera?

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Best 200 dollar camera?

Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: In your guys opnion....

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

I got on Ebay and bought some commercial grade rechargeable C batteries that are Sanyos. I bought some of the Energizers from Walmart and they suck. I can get about 14 days out of a set of rechargable batteries with the cameras taking usually between 125-175 pics depending on the location of the camera.
Lets compare:

The first scoutguard that I bought for personal use was mid jun. It was out until mid october before I changed the batteries. When I changed them I was still at 1/3 battery life and the camera had taken about 3,600 pics and about 3 hours of video. That was on a set of 8 rayovac AA's that cost 10 for 30 at Walmart. If I only got 175 pics on a set of batteries, I'd be pretty upset regardless of how much the camera cost. How many charges do you think you'll get out of 1 set of batteries? No more pics than you are getting, a set of batteries would probably last you a year! I have customers that get 400 pics in 24 hours. Others who check their cams twice weekly and average 2000 pics per week. The guys getting this many pics splurge and buy lithiums and get 12000 pics on a set of batt's.There are definately several reasons to buy a $200 camera, I'm still waiting on a reason to buy a $400 one!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

I also don't set my cameras in a deer pen over a corn pile to try and get 2000 pics a week. I'm just using my cameras to find and locate my deer and see what I have on my place and you (and no one else for that matter) have done nothing to convince me as to why I have to spend $200 on a single camera to do that. Even if I only get a year out of my rechargeable batteries. I bought them in a lot of 20 for $15. So I guess if I spend 15/year on batteries I'm ok with it. Also I have never left my cameras out until they die so I have no idea how long they will sit in woods before they die but I would guess they will sit out there for 3-4 weeks who knows. To each his own like I said before but there is still no reason why a guy can't got get a $50 camera and have nice pics of deer on his place. I have done it with little to no problems and I have 8 cameras worth a total dollar amount of $300. $400 invested total when you put in the batteries I bought of Ebay and the SD cards. For that you guys have two cameras and no way to power them and no way to store your pics. I'm the idiot I guess! I bought 4 of my cameras used off this very site and have had no issues with them.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also don't set my cameras in a deer pen over a corn pile to try and get 2000 pics a week. I'm just using my cameras to find and locate my deer and see what I have on my place and you (and no one else for that matter) have done nothing to convince me as to why I have to spend $200 on a single camera to do that. Even if I only get a year out of my rechargeable batteries. I bought them in a lot of 20 for $15. So I guess if I spend 15/year on batteries I'm ok with it. Also I have never left my cameras out until they die so I have no idea how long they will sit in woods before they die but I would guess they will sit out there for 3-4 weeks who knows. To each his own like I said before but there is still no reason why a guy can't got get a $50 camera and have nice pics of deer on his place. I have done it with little to no problems and I have 8 cameras worth a total dollar amount of $300. $400 invested total when you put in the batteries I bought of Ebay and the SD cards. For that you guys have two cameras and no way to power them and no way to store your pics. I'm the idiot I guess! I bought 4 of my cameras used off this very site and have had no issues with them.
your a strange and angry little man.... but im like you...not in the angry way tho...i dont wait and i am just trying to find where the deer are on my property, i have gone through the 50 dollar ones from walmart and the 150 dollar ones as well and they are crap. they must make them different where you get them or somethin but mine sucked and thats why im gettin me a good quality scoutguard
Old 12-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: skin_dog1

Lets compare:

The first scoutguard that I bought for personal use was mid jun. It was out until mid october before I changed the batteries. When I changed them I was still at 1/3 battery life and the camera had taken about 3,600 pics and about 3 hours of video. That was on a set of 8 rayovac AA's that cost 10 for 30 at Walmart. If I only got 175 pics on a set of batteries, I'd be pretty upset regardless of how much the camera cost. How many charges do you think you'll get out of 1 set of batteries? No more pics than you are getting, a set of batteries would probably last you a year! I have customers that get 400 pics in 24 hours. Others who check their cams twice weekly and average 2000 pics per week. The guys getting this many pics splurge and buy lithiums and get 12000 pics on a set of batt's.There are definately several reasons to buy a $200 camera, I'm still waiting on a reason to buy a $400 one!!!

Lets do compare:

You bought one camera for $200 and put it out. You got 3600 pics and 3 hours of video. That's awesome.

For that same money I got 4 cameras. I put them out and got on average 150 pics out of each camera every two weeks. Simple math tells me that 150 pics per two weeks is 300 pics per month per camera. More simple math tells me that 300 pics per camera per month times 4 cameras is 1200 pics per month. You had your camera out for 5 months and in that same 5 month time period I got 6000 pics from my 4 cameras to your 3600 and 3 hours of video. Plus I saw 4 times more ground then you did for roughly the same cost. Quite a comparison I guess.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kwaldeier

your a strange and angry little man.... but im like you...not in the angry way tho...i dont wait and i am just trying to find where the deer are on my property, i have gone through the 50 dollar ones from walmart and the 150 dollar ones as well and they are crap. they must make them different where you get them or somethin but mine sucked and thats why im gettin me a good quality scoutguard
I hope you have great luck with them!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

to be fair who knows how many deer you scare up checking on your 4 cameras and how many pics it takes away from that let alone the scent of you on each camera for who knows how long until the deer come back, which is another good thing about the VERY long battery life of the scoutguard, they get used to it and its part of their environment and they do their thing
Old 12-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kwaldeier

I hope you have great luck with them!
thanks betterbirddogs!! me too...i would be in your shoes too if my 50 dollar cameras had worked as great as yours do, at one point i thought 200 dollars was WAY to much for a camera but i just gave in haha
Old 12-10-2008, 03:47 PM

every camera should have a position in the market, some get big pieces off the pie, others take small crunches

I have cheap and high end gadgets all over my basement, not only trail cams[8D]I even have some very high performance tools when I DIY my basement, but I sold them expensive toolsafter I finished
Old 12-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

I also don't set my cameras in a deer pen to try and get 2000 pics a week.
Neither do I or any of the custmers I mentioned. It's been interesteing conversation to say the least. I'm glad you're happy with your cameras.
Dave
Old 12-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quick Reply: Best 200 dollar camera?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.